This is the best ever Strawberry Shortcake, and it’s not hard to make!
Strawberries are abundant in the grocery stores this time of year, and I can’t help but buy them every time I see them. They are great on fruit pizza, in strawberry pie, on top of cheesecake, dipped in chocolate, with fruit dip, and of course just plain. One of my favorite ways to use strawberries is in strawberry shortcake.
This is the way I grew up having strawberry shortcake, and it really is the best ever. I’ve never had strawberry shortcake anywhere that beats it! We always made homemade cake and served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It is sooooo good. I remember the first time I ate strawberry shortcake somewhere else. It was those little round cakes that taste like twinkies, topped with Cool Whip and just plain ole strawberries.
I remember thinking, “What the heck. These people do not know what is up. This is not what strawberry shortcake should taste like.” It was still good and I ate it, but it was not fantastic. I could handle the twinkie cake, but Cool Whip, come on. Real whipped cream would be an improvement, but really, ice cream is soooo much better. I mean think about it – what would you rather eat, a spoonful of Cool Whip or a spoonful of ice cream? No contest.
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon or vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- Additional ingredients:
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 2 pints of fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar (or more)
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl till light and fluffy. Blend in milk and extract. Whisk dry ingredients together and add. Beat till smooth. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Pour into well greased and floured 9x5" loaf pan.
- Bake at 300° for about 90 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes, then remove to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, slice the fresh strawberries. Add the sugar and stir together. Let the berries sit for at least an hour. The sugar will dissolve and they will make a really yummy syrup.When the cake is cooled and the berries are nice and syrupy, place a piece of cake on each plate. Top with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. Taste the berries to make sure they are yummy. But don't lick your fingers. 😉 Spoon the strawberries over the top, making sure you get some of the syrup in each bowl. Serve immediately. Yum!
Other show stopping Strawberry Dessert recipes: