I am soooo glad that March is almost over. It has been an insanely busy and stressful month. On top of being mom/wife/chauffeur/cook/maid/nurse/teacher/scout leader/cheerleader, I have done the following:
Organized all the youth soccer for our city. Helped with the Book Fair at the School. Taught two cooking classes. Helped in two of my boys classrooms. Held a craft boutique. And worried, prayed, and stressed over two different adoption possibilities that both ended up falling through.
I was looking forward to a few down days, but just found out that we are having out of town company, and I have new scouting responsibilities that require training ASAP. Who needs a lesson in saying NO? Yep, that would be me. Sigh.
I actually did manage to finish a project this morning. It has been 95% completed for the last three weeks, but I didn't have 2 minutes to spare. I was planning on doing a tutorial, but the photos I took 3 weeks ago are gone. Vanished. Kaput. So you'll just have to settle for the completed project.
What the heck is that? you are asking. Let me tell ya. It is a positive reinforcement system that I use with my boys. We've been doing it for years. Got the idea from my good friend Lori.
Basically, every time we see one of our boys doing something good, we give them a point. We use a dry erase marker. When they earn 10, they get to stay up late one night with mom and dad. Just them and us. We usually play games. They love it! And all it costs is a little of our time. It has worked wonders at our house.
Up till now, it has just been a piece of paper on our refrigerator. Functional, but not too cute. I decided it was time to take it up a notch.
Here's what I did. Sorry, you'll just have to pretend there are nice photos of every step.
-I took an old frame that I already had. Spray painted it cream colored. It looked a little blah, so I decided to distress the edges. All I did was dip my finger in a tiny bit of black craft paint and run it along the edges. It was dry in about 2 minutes.
-Cleaned the glass really well and applied vinyl lettering to the back.
-Wrapped the cardboard frame backing with a piece of canvas. Hot glued it just around the edges of the cardboard.
-Put the glass in the frame and then pushed the backing on. (It was a tight fit because of the canvas.) I used a staple gun to hold the back in place.
-At this point I could have been finished, but I thought it needed color. I made a few rosettes and hot glued them to the corners. Now that it's done, I'm wishing I would have just grouped three across the top, but it's too late now.
This is a pretty versatile project. You could use scrapbook paper instead of fabric for the backing, and match any decor that you have. If you don't have access to vinyl lettering, you could also just print the lettering on your backing paper.
This has been such an effective parenting tool at our house. I hope it works for you too!
Oh, and if any of you are still reading, make sure you check out my cooking blog. I am giving away an awesome slow cooker!
I am linking to the following: