I love cooking and baking with lemons. Their flavor is just so darn fresh and yummy! I first tried this lemon cake at a baby shower years ago and I think I may have groaned after the first bite. I made sure to get the recipe from my friend the very next day.
This cake is seriously amazing, and the frosting is what makes it. It is to die for. No kidding. I could eat it by the spoonful right out of the bowl. Doesn’t it just look incredible?
I’ve served this cake at baby showers, bridal showers, and potlucks, and it always gets rave reviews. I love making Bundt cakes, because they don’t take any more effort, but they make such a pretty presentation.
If you like lemon desserts, you have got to give this a try!! Do not leave out the lemon zest, that is what gives it the wonderful lemony flavor!
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, soft
- 3 Tbsp lemon zest
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Remaining juice from lemon used in cake
- Milk or cream as needed
- Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each one. Sift together dry ingredients. Add alternately with buttermilk; mixing well. Stir in lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Spread into a well greased and floured Bundt or tube pan. Bake at 325° for about 1 hour or till a toothpick comes out clean. (Don't overbake or the cake will be dry.) Let sit in pan for 10 minutes, then dump out onto a cooling rack.
- Cool cake completely and frost with lemon cream cheese frosting.
- Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter till smooth. Beat in remaining ingredients, adding enough milk or cream to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake.
Love lemon? Here are a few more recipes to try: