Baking cookies is one of my very favorite holiday traditions. We make platefuls of goodies for neighbors every year, and I love it! I try a few new recipes every year, and this year I think these brown sugar shortbread cookies will be added to the plates. They are simple to make, but they taste incredible. And who can pass up a cookie dipped in chocolate? Not me!
I’ve made shortbread cookies before, and they are awesome. They just melt in your mouth. This time around I decided to try using brown sugar instead of the powdered sugar in my other recipes. Oh man. Such a great decision! The brown sugar gives the cookies a great caramel like flavor. When I bit into one, I just knew it would be awesome dipped in chocolate. I was right. It’s a fabulous combination, especially sprinkled with toffee bits!
If you aren’t a fan of toffee, you could also top the cookies with sprinkles or chopped nuts. Or you could even drizzle a little white chocolate over the dark chocolate. You really can’t miss with these yummy cookies!
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups milk chocolate or semi sweet chocolate chips
- 6-7 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- Cream butter and brown sugar. Stir in vanilla and flour. Cover and chill for 1 hour. On a floured surface, roll out into a rectangle about 1/4" thick. Cut with a small cookie cutter, or just use a knife to cut rectangle shapes. I used a knife. It's fine if the cookies aren't all the exact same size. Just call them rustic. 🙂
- Place on parchment or silpat lined cookie sheets and bake at 350° for about 12 minutes or till barely lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely on cooling racks.
- Melt butter in a glass bowl in the microwave. Add the chocolate chips and cook at half power, stirring every 30 seconds till smooth and creamy.
- Dip cookies halfway into the melted chocolate, then place on silicone liners or waxed paper. Sprinkle toffee bits on the melted chocolate. Let sit till chocolate is hardened.
And because today is National Cookie Day, you are getting even more amazing cookie recipes!! Yep, it’s time from another round-up from the Celebrating Food Bloggers. Can’t wait to try some of these cookies myself. Yum!
Vanilla Bean Danish Butter Cookies from Ashlee Marie
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Triangles from Real Mom Kitchen
Dipped Chocolate Chip Pizzelle Cookies from Summer Scraps
Dipped Brown Sugar Shortbread Cookies from Creations by Kara
Chocolate Mint Cookies from Butter With A Side of Bread
No-Bake Dark Chocolate & Orange Protein Cookies from Happy Food Healthy Life
Soft Frosted Ginger Spice Cookies from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Rolo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies from Like Mother Like Daughter
Christmas Tree Sugar Cookie Bars from Cupcake Diaries
Classic French Macarons with Homemade Nutella from Tried and Tasty
More of our awesome cookie recipes:
Candy Cane Peppermint Kiss Cookies from Creations by Kara
Brookies from Creations by Kara
Andes Oreo Peppermint Cookies from Creations by Kara
Lemon Swig Style Cookies from Tried and Tasty
Giant Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies from Tried and Tasty
Candy Cane Blossoms from Cupcake Diaries
Strawberry Fruit Spread Thumbprint Cookies from Cupcake Diaries
Flourless Triple Chocolate Cookies from Happy Food Healthy Life
Healthy Coconut Cookies from Happy Food Healthy Life
Homemade Oreos from Ashlee Marie
Pine Tree Cookies from Ashlee Marie
Cherry Pie Cookies from Butter with a Side of Bread
Banana Cream Cookies from Butter With A Side of Bread
Gingerdoodle Cookies from Like Mother Like Daughter
Hot Chocolate Cookies from Like Mother Like Daughter
Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Maple Glazed Pumpkin Cookies from Real Mom Kitchen