Homemade Tostada Recipe- Flour tortillas topped with meat, beans, lettuce, cheese, and an amazing avocado salsa!
This yummy meal has been a favorite of mine since childhood. On our birthdays, my mom would let us pick what we wanted for dinner. This was my most requested birthday dinner! The avocado salsa on top really makes the recipe for me. I think of my childhood every time I serve this to my family!We actually called these burritos when I was growing up, but I don’t usually fold mine up, so they’re really more like a tostada. You can fold them up, but I like a lot of salsa on mine, so if I go that route I pour the salsa over the top. These are such a refreshing meal, especially on warm nights. But I can eat them any time of year!
You can adapt the salsa to your liking, but this is how I like it. The oregano gives it a different flavor than most Mexican dishes, and I love it. But if you prefer, you can add less or leave it out.
- Avocado Salsa:
- 1 28oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 4oz can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 2.25oz can sliced olives
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Meat Mixture:
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 16oz cans refried beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Additional ingredients:
- 12-14 flour tortillas
- 1 small head of chopped lettuce
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream if desired
- Combine all the salsa ingredients in a glass bowl. Cover and let sit for an hour. If it will be longer than an hour, store in the refrigerator.
- Brown ground beef and drain off all fat. Stir in refried beans, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- To serve: Place flour tortillas on plates. Top with meat mixture, cheese, lettuce, salsa, and sour cream. Serve immediately
Here are a few more of our favorite Mexican meals: