Sugar Cookie Bars – The fabulousness of sugar cookies without all the rolling, cutting, and decorating. Everyone LOVES these soft and delicious bars!
I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love a good homemade sugar cookie. But with all that chilling, rolling, and cutting, they take a fair amount of time to prepare. These sugar cookie bars can be made in a fraction of the time, and they are just as yummy! They are perfect for feeding a crowd. Every time I serve them I get rave reviews!
The base for these bars isn’t overly sweet, so it pairs perfectly with the creamy frosting. I’ve made these with buttercream and cream cheese frosting, and we prefer the cream cheese frosting. Because really, it can’t be beat, can it? That stuff is incredible! Feel free to eat a couple spoonfuls. I won’t judge.
After you try these fabulous sugar cookie bars, you may never go back to making regular sugar cookies again! I used pink frosting, but you can adapt them to any holiday or event by using white frosting and sprinkles in any color. So fun!
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 5 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- dash of salt
- Food coloring (optional)
- 2-3 tsp milk if needed
- Cookie bars: Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, vanilla, and almond extract. Beat till well blended. Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl. Add to the wet ingredients and stir till well combined.
- Press into a 17" x 12" rimmed baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until barely light brown. Cool completely, then frost.
- Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl till smooth. Add powdered sugar, extracts, salt, and food coloring. Beat till smooth and creamy, adding milk as needed. Top with sprinkles if desired.
Here are a few more fabulous bar recipes: