French Silk Pie
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, very soft
- 1 9" pie crust, baked and cooled
- For garnish:
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2-3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Chocolate bar for making chocolate curls
- Whip cream in a mixing bowl till stiff peaks form. Cover and chill.
- Melt chopped chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave at half power, stirring every 30 seconds till smooth. Set aside.
- Place eggs, sugar, and water in a glass bowl or double boiler. Beat with an electric mixer for at least 5 minutes, or till very pale yellow and thick. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water that is slightly smaller than your bowl. You don't want it to touch the water. Cook and whisk till mixture reaches 160°.
- Remove egg mixture from heat. Beat for another 8 minutes or till cooled and fluffy. Don't under-mix!!
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla and beat till smooth. Beat in the soft butter, then fold in the whipped cream. Pour mixture into the pie crust and spread evenly.
- Beat the 1/2 cup cream till soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat till smooth. Spread over the chocolate filling. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, garnish with chocolate curls or shavings.
Pages: 1 2