Calendar Make-over, Made over Again!

This post may contain affiliate links, which gives me a small percentage of the sale, at no cost to you. Thank you!

My life has slowed down a little this week, and I have finally had time to work on some projects. Hooray!!! The snowy weather has put a bit of a damper on a table I’m trying to re-finish, but at least I’m crossing some of the smaller things off my to-do list.

I’ve had this calender holder hanging in my kitchen for several years.
diy-spray painting
Don’t judge. I know it’s plain and ugly. I’m taking baby steps to transform my home. These things take time people!

Anyway, I’ve been wanting to give it a face-lift for months. I started by filling in some of the nail holes. I tried a new kind of spackling.
diy-spray paintingIt goes on pink:
diy-spray-painting
And turns white when it’s dry.
diy-spray-painting
Perfect for us impatient types that want to rush things, but aren’t sure if the spackling has dried yet, and then paint it anyway, then find out it wasn’t quite ready, and are ticked off when it shrinks after it’s been painted, leaving tiny cracks. Not that that has happened to me or anything, it’s just a hypothetical.

Next I gave it a light sanding to smooth out the dry spackling, and make a good surface for the paint to stick to.

I wanted to add a wooden embellishment to the top. I got this one at Home Depot.

diy-spray-paintingI used Gorilla Glue to attach it. The directions said to clamp the two surfaces together, but I didn’t want to be bothered with finding the clamps, so I did this instead:
diy-spray-paintingIt worked fabulously!

Next I took the whole thing out to the garage and gave it a few coats of antique white spray paint. Then sanded the edges to give it a distressed look.
diy-spray-painting
Here is where things took a quick downhill turn. First I tried some gel stain that I had. I just used a bit in the corner to try it out. It was too redish, and I didn’t like it, so I quickly wiped it off. No harm done.

Then I got out another type of stain and started applying it. A windstorm kicked up, and it wreaked havoc. The stain started drying faster than I could wipe it off. Plus as it dried it had an orange tint to it.

Bleck! Hated it!

I was not about to admit defeat, so I turned to an old friend. Black spray paint. It can fix pretty much anything! After a few coats (I used semi-gloss), and another sanding just to scuff up the edges, here she is now:
diy-spray-painting
Love her!

Here is a close up of the detail on the top.
diy-spray-painting
It was a long process, but now I’m thrilled with the results! So don’t worry if a project you’re working on isn’t turning out right, you can just keep changing until you get it the way you like! Even if it takes 10 coats of spray paint. 😉

 


Comments

  1. This turned out great! I am a fan of smooth black painted finishes, so this one is a winner!!

  2. I love all of your project they are truly amazing……I have a project that i am working on i purchased 2 night stands for $20.00 an i am truly excited to work on them and use my imagination to have a wonderful finished project

    • Thrifty makeover projects are my favorites! It is awesome turning something ugly into a treasure. Good luck and have fun!

Speak Your Mind

*