Cheesecake Ice Cream is, rich, creamy, and tangy, just like your favorite cheesecake. And of course it is chock full of pieces of graham crackers for the true cheesecake experience. An extra decadent homemade ice cream!
This version has a bit of lemon zest, which gives it an amazing fresh flavor. It’s not enough to make it overwhelmingly lemon, it just makes it taste extra special.
CHEESECAKE + ICE CREAM = HEAVEN!
Ice cream and cheesecake are two of my favorite desserts, so naturally I love it when they can be combined into one treat!
I’ve made blueberry cheesecake ice cream, and strawberry cheesecake ice cream, but I wanted to try one that tasted like straight up cheesecake. This is it!
It tastes absolutely amazing on its own, but of course it would also be tasty topped with any fresh fruit or pie filling. A perfect ice cream flavor for cheesecake fans like me. 🙂
What does cheesecake ice cream taste like?
This cheesecake ice cream is rich and creamy with a nice tangy cheesecake flavor. Rather than vanilla ice cream with chunks of cheesecake, the base is actually made with cream cheese, so every bite tastes like cheesecake, just in creamy frozen form!
How do you make homemade ice cream creamy and not icy?
Fat is what makes ice cream nice and smooth. Using cream instead of lower fat milk or other milk substitutes results in ice cream with ice crystals, because they have a higher water content.
Using eggs is another way to ensure that your ice cream is extra thick and creamy. This homemade cheesecake ice cream has fat from both cream and cream cheese, and also eggs, so it is extra creamy and luscious!
To skip my tips and tricks and just get to the printable recipe card, simply scroll to the bottom of the post.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM
- heavy cream – This makes your ice cream incredibly rich and creamy.
- granulated sugar – Adds a perfect amount of sweetness.
- eggs – I use large eggs.
- light cream cheese – You can substitute full fat cream cheese if you prefer, or even fat free.
- lemon juice – Adds that extra tang that makes this cheesecake flavored ice cream extra delicious. I use fresh lemon juice, but bottled should work if that’s all you have.
- lemon zest – A bit of fresh lemon zest adds a fresh flavor to the ice cream without making it taste “lemony”. This ingredient is optional.
- vanilla extract – A good quality vanilla does make a difference in this ice cream.
- graham crackers – You can’t have homemade cheesecake without chunks of graham crackers!
- TEMPER THE EGGS: Whisk together just 1 1/2 cups of the cream, the sugar, and the eggs together in a heavy saucepan. Bring to barely a simmer over medium low heat; remove from heat. Don’t try to rush the process by cooking too fast. High heat will scramble your eggs!
- STRAIN: Pour the egg mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove any lumps. This step is optional but recommended.
- BLEND: In a large bowl (preferably with a lid), beat the cream cheese till soft and creamy. Gradually beat in the hot cream mixture.
- CHILL: Cover and chill for 4-5 hours, or overnight. You can speed up the process by placing your bowl or pan in a sink full of ice water for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This step makes your ice cream freeze faster in the ice cream maker.
- FINISH: To the cold mixture, add the remaining 1 cup of cream, zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- FREEZE: Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Pour the ice cream into a freezer safe container and stir in the broken graham crackers. At this point you will have soft serve ice cream. Feel free to eat it immediately, or continue to step 7 for harder ice cream.
- RIPEN: Scoop into a freezer safe container and freeze for 3-4 hours, or until firm enough to scoop.
LOVE CREAM CHEESE? TRY THESE RECIPES:
- Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle
- Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Zucchini Bread with Cream Cheese
- Turtle Cheesecake
MORE HOMEMADE ICE CREAM:
- Peppermint Ice Cream
- Chocolate Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- White Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Butterfinger Ice Cream
- French Vanilla Ice Cream
CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM RECIPE
Cheesecake Ice Cream
Ultra rich and creamy ice cream that tastes like cheesecake. Serve it plain or top it with berries or pie filling. So decadent!
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 12 oz light cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest (optional)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 graham crackers, coarsely crushed
- Whisk together 1 1/2 cups of the cream, the sugar, and the eggs together in a heavy saucepan. Bring to barely a simmer over medium low heat; remove from heat.
- If desired, pour the egg mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove any lumps.
- In a large bowl (preferably with a lid), beat cream cheese till soft and creamy. Gradually beat in the hot cream mixture.
- Cover and chill for 4-5 hours, or overnight.
- To the cold mixture, add the remaining 1 cup of cream, zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Pour the ice cream into a freezer safe container and stir in the broken graham crackers. Freeze for 3-4 hours, or until scoopable.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 536Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 0gSugar: 44gProtein: 8g
Hello! I’m in the process of making this right now, so far so good! I was wondering though why we have to chill it in the fridge overnight, and then add the lemon and additional cream. Why do we break it up that way? Thank you!
Sometimes adding lemon juice to warm milk or cream can curdle it, so I like to stay on the safe side and add it after the mixture has cooled. But you could add the cold cream first, then stir in the lemon juice and zest and chill everything together.
Hey this looks great! I wanted to know the quantity of ice cream you get from this recipe. I need to make a gallon. Thank you!
If you need a gallon, I’d double it.
Your site, what I saw of it, looked really nice and inviting. Don’t take this the wrong way but I would want to know if it were me. I did not get any further than half way down the first page. You have so many ads constantly loading that It is slowing my computer down to a point of just clicking off very frustrated. I came back for this. You see, not everyone is going to have a high tech computer or lightning speed internet. I have not been on a site with this many ads in a long time. If you notice the grammar errors please ignore them. It just was not worth the time and frustration of waiting for the next ad to finish loading. Im sure by now they all have tracked my whole computer for information. Usually when ads slow this much its because their intentionally keeping you there until they get what they need off of your computer. I did not know if you knew. They dont tell you that when they are getting your approval to be here. I am very sorry if I offended you in any way. You seem very nice. I just know that I would appreciate this kind of information if I were you.
Sorry that you had a bad experience. Unfortunately ads are the only way that website owners can provide free content. Some like to use pop up ads, but I hate those, so I have more ads within my content. My site was actually loading slower than usual because my image optimization tool was malfunctioning but I wasn’t aware of it. Hopefully it’s better now.
I am in love with this ice cream! It tastes so rich and decadent, such a great treat!
So happy to hear that you loved it as much as I did! 🙂
This homemade cheesecake ice cream recipe is truly AMAZING! I never knew how easy it is to make homemade ice cream. So rich, creamy, and sweet!
Once you figure out how easy it is to make ice cream at home, it’s hard to stop! haha
Happy to hear you tried something new and loved it. 🙂