Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread . . . with a hint of spice and a sprinkling of chocolate chips, this zucchini bread is tasty any time of day!
Fall weather is starting to set in here in Utah. We have had a fabulously warm and sunny month so far, but I can feel a chill in the air this morning. I was all excited to start baking with pumpkin, but when I went to the store on Saturday, they were all out.
They assured me they would have some in stock today, so I’m heading there again. But in the meantime, I decided to make zucchini bread with our very last zucchini from the garden.
We didn’t even know it was there, we thought the plant had died. What a pleasant surprise to find it hiding under the dead leaves! My boys requested some type of chocolate zucchini bread, so I added chocolate chips.
What Kind of Chocolate Chips Should I Use for Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread?
-I used the mini chocolate chips, because I had a few I needed to use up. I have also used regular chocolate chips with good results.
-I like to use semi sweet chocolate chips because I love the ooey gooey melting factor, but you can use milk chocolate.
Do I Need To Peel the Zucchini for Zucchini Bread?
-Peeled vs. non-peeled zucchini is really a matter of preference. Seeing those green flecks lets people know they are eating zucchini bread. I rarely peel my zucchini, except when I want it hidden, like for my lemon poppy seed zucchini bread.
Handy supplies for making chocolate chip zucchini bread:
- You don’t need a mixer for this recipe, so a good whisk is a must. I have at least four in my kitchen, and use them all the time.
- I use a cheese grater to shred my zucchini. I know most people love the box graters, but I prefer a hand held grater.
- I love baking quick breads in mini loaf pans, I think they just turn out better. These loaf pans are my favorite!
Have an abundance of zucchini? Here are a few more zucchini recipes:
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD RECIPE
- 1/3 cup oil (I used canola)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (or regular)
- Whisk together oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and zucchini.
- Combine dry ingredients and chocolate chips in a small bowl, stir into wet ingredients.
- Pour batter into 3 well greased 5.75 x 3" mini loaf pans or one 9x5" loaf pan.
- Bake at 325°. Large loaf bakes for about 55-60 minutes, small loaves bake for about 30 minutes. I like using the mini pans because the middle cooks faster so the edges don't get as brown.
-Make sure you add the chocolate chips to the dry ingredients, especially if you are using the regular size. It coats them with flour so they don't all sink to the bottom of the pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
This recipe was originally posted on October 18, 2010. It was updated August of 2018.
See all my QUICK BREAD RECIPES.