Since I posted a Valentine craft yesterday, I thought it only fitting that today I post a Valentine’s Day dessert. And of course it involves chocolate, because you can’t have Valentine’s Day without chocolate. At least not in my world. 🙂
Some people call this chocolate molten cake, some people call it chocolate lava cake. I call it a little piece of heaven on earth. And I am wondering to myself why the heck I didn’t try it out before now! It is so simple to make, tastes incredible, and is sure to wow your guest. Well, at least it wowed my four boys and hubbie. They were quite impressed when they cut into their cakes and saw all the yummy chocolate gooey-ness oozing out.
I served this with vanilla ice cream. It’s the right thing to do. Either that, or fresh whipped cream. Totally not optional in my opinion. Which is the correct opinion of course. 🙂
Chocolate Lava Cake
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate (I used high quality chocolate chips)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 9 Tbsp flour
- Butter 6 ramekins or custard cups.
- Put chocolate and butter in a large glass bowl. Melt in microwave at 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds till smooth.
- Whisk in powdered sugar till thoroughly combined and melted. Whisk in eggs and yolks. Stir in flour.
- Divide batter between the 6 ramekins. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425° oven for 13-14 minutes. Center will still be slightly jiggly.
- Let stand for a couple minutes, then invert onto small plates. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 552Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 246mgSodium: 226mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 43gProtein: 7g