Welcome to Creations by Kara!
I’m Kara, – the cook, do it yourself-er, crafter, writer, photographer, and mastermind behind this website. Here you will find simple recipes and projects that can be successfully made even if you are a beginner. I’m so happy you stopped by — now let’s make something amazing!
LOOKING FOR FAMILY FRIENDLY RECIPES?
My mom taught me to cook from scratch when I was about 8 years old, and I loved trying out new recipes for my parents and five siblings. I also loved baking treats to take to neighbors, and as a teenager I was known for my cookies and apple pie! In college I cooked for my roommates, and once I got married the real fun in the kitchen began!
I’ve picked up a few tricks over the years, but I still mainly stick to simple recipes that are made with basic ingredients. In the past few years I have had lots of fun teaching cooking classes in my small community. It is so fun for me to see people trying and loving my recipes!
Baking is my passion, especially homemade breads and cookies! But with five kids, I’ve also mastered the art of making easy dinner recipes that can be on the table in under an hour. Life is busy, but we try to eat dinner around the table every night.
All of my recipes are tried and tested on my family, and oftentimes on neighbors. Here’s what a few readers have said about my recipes:
- ‘I just made this and cannot stop taste testing it. It is SO DELICIOUS!!!”
- “Made these chops. We loved them. I too doubled the gravy part. Thank you. Deeeeeelicious.”
- “I was looking through my pinned recipes when this pumpkin dessert came up. So I made it! Wow! Super delicious! 10/10!”
- “They are so delicious and very easy to make! . . . This is a keeper! Thanks Kara!”
COOKING NOT YOUR THING? TRY ONE OF MY CRAFT OR DIY TUTORIALS!
When I was young I loved cross stitch and embroidery, but that was where my creativity ended. I never considered myself a creative person outside of the kitchen. It wasn’t until I was married that I discovered my love of all things creative. I basically taught myself how to paint, crochet, sew, and make my own home decor. Once I discovered how to use power tools, it opened up a whole new world!
For years I was afraid to decorate our house because I was afraid I would do it wrong. I have since learned that there is no wrong way. If you love your home, you’ve done it right!
ABOUT CREATIONS BY KARA
I started blogging way back in 2006 because I had so many friends and neighbors asking for my recipes that I wanted an easy way to share them. About a year later I started another blog where I shared craft projects and tutorials.
In 2008 I combined the two websites together and Creations by Kara was born! I never would have guessed that a tiny little recipe blog could eventually turn into a full time business!
My recipes and projects have been featured in Country Living, Huffington Post, Woman’s Day, Buzzfeed, Redbook, Deseret News, Food & Wine, Delish, and more. I have also had several of my recipes published in Taste of Home books and magazines.
If you’re new here, you may want to check out these posts:
This is my family. I’ve been married for 25 years to my amazing husband, and I’m a proud mama of four boys and a princess. They are my support system, my cheerleaders, and my clean up crew. (I pay them in cookies.)
RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME:
- I am a Christian and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I don’t drink coffee or alcohol. No, my husband doesn’t have more than one wife. He can barely keep up with my bucket of emotional needs.
- I love dark chocolate. And peanut butter. And dark chocolate and peanut butter together. Oh, and toffee. I could literally eat homemade toffee till I make myself sick. 🙂
- I love reading! I’ve loved it since I was a kid. I used to sneak a flashlight to bed so I could read under the covers after my parents turned off the lights.
- Traveling kind of stresses me out. I love being in fun new places, but the trip planning and getting there? I’d rather clean bathrooms. For reals. My husband has learned to plan our vacations, or I’d probably never leave the state.
- I love organizing. My house is filled with bins, baskets, and lists. So technically it should be clean and organized all the time. It is not. It is so not. Maybe after all the kids leave home?
- I cannot write with a dull pencils. It gives me the heebie jeebies. I have a stash of at least 25 mechanical pencils hidden in my closet so that I’ll never run out.
- I have never had a professional pedicure because I can’t stand for people to touch my feet.
- I actually enjoy house cleaning. Except for unloading the dishwasher and picking up random junk off the floor. I make my husband and kids do that, and I wash dishes for them.
- I once got kidney stones in Hawaii. On my anniversary. Not awesome.
- I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and I live in Utah. Not the best combination, but I love the people here so much that I can’t leave.
I hope you find something that inspires you to use your creative side!!