My 10 year old is going through a “chocolate phase”. He has declared that he only likes desserts that have chocolate in them. I thought that was just for us ladies, but apparently not. 😉
Since he has declared his abiding love for all things chocolate, of course he wanted a chocolate cake for his birthday last month. He saw the package of oreos sitting in the pantry, and requested an oreo cake. I tweaked one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes and came up with this one. I opted to use a white cake mix so the oreos would stand out, but you could use a chocolate one instead.
The batter for this cake is nice and thick, which is essential so that all of the crushed oreos don’t fall to the bottom. It starts with a cake mix, so it comes together really quickly. The cake itself is wonderfully moist with nice chunks of cookie inside. Perfect with a scoop of ice cream. Everyone at the party loved it!!
See all those yummy chunks of cookie? Yum!
OREO LAYER CAKE
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 3 oz box vanilla instant pudding
- 1/2 cup oil
- 12 Oreos, coarsely crushed
- Additional Oreos for top of cake
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4-6 Tablespoons milk
- Combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, water, pudding mix, and oil. Beat till smooth. Stir in oreos.
- Pour into 2 round cake pans (mine measure 8 1/2" across the bottom) that have been greased and floured.
- Bake at 350 for about 32 minutes, or till toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before removing to cooling racks. Cool completely.
- Prepare frosting: Combine all ingredients and beat till smooth, adding enough milk to achieve spreadable consistency.
- Place first cake layer on serving plate. (If you need to, first slice the rounded top off so the cake will stack evenly.)
- Spread about 3/4 cup of frosting on the cake. Top with the second layer. Frost sides and top of cake.
- Crush a few more Oreo cookies and sprinkle them on top of the cake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 560Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 465mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 1gSugar: 55gProtein: 5g