My kitchen decorating project continues to crawl along. Hopefully by the time spring is here and I can get my cabinets painted, I will have all my decorations ready. At least that’s what I’m hoping. We’ve had warmer weather lately, and it has been awesome because I’ve finally been able to spray paint again. Woohoo!
I’ve been meaning to transform my knife block for weeks, but just haven’t had the time. I finally got around to it. It’s amazing how even simple changes can make such a difference!
It started out like this:
As you can see, it is old and worn out and has some water damage from sitting a little too close to the sink. I knew it needed a facelift.
The first job was to use spackling to fill in the letters on the front so I would have a smooth surface.
If I have an area this large that is covered in spackling, I like to prime before I spray paint. I’ve found in the past that if I don’t, the spray paint covers differently over the spackle, and you can see it in the end result. So I brushed on a layer of Kilz primer.
After that, it was a couple coats of black spray paint. I let it cure for a full two days. Then I cut a monogram with my CraftRobo, and adhered it to the front.
A quick and easy job, but my monogrammed knife block looks so much better than she did before. And I made sure to give her a new home farther from the sink! 🙂
(And yes, now that she’s pretty, she is a “her”.)