Strawberry Banana Trifle– Yummy homemade pudding, fresh strawberries and bananas, pound cake, and whipped cream- all layered together for a summer dessert that tastes as good as it looks!
Trifle is one of my family’s favorite desserts. I make raspberry and strawberry cheesecake trifle on a regular basis, but my 16 year old requested a banana trifle for his birthday this year. I had some fresh strawberries on hand, and asked if he’d be OK if I tossed them in as well. He agreed, and this Strawberry Banana Trifle was the result. It was a huge hit with the entire family!
I started with the same homemade pudding that I use for banana cream pie. If you’ve never had homemade pudding before, you’ve got to give it a try. It is delish! Seriously, it beats the tar outta that stuff in a box.
We loved the color and flavor of the strawberries in this trifle, but if you’d prefer, you could just use a couple additional bananas in place of the berries. The one difference between this trifle and others I’ve made is that you have to serve it within a couple hours, or the bananas start to brown.
I like to use homemade pound cake, but you can of course substitute store bought pound cake if you prefer. I don’t like using a regular cake mix though, because it gets pretty soggy.
Strawberry Banana Trifle
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 loaf of pound cake (I only use about 2/3 of the loaf)
- 2 pints of fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3 large bananas, sliced
- Blend sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a heavy large saucepan. Beat together the egg yolks and milk till smooth. Gradually stir into the sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir for at least one minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- To assemble trifle: Cut the pound cake into cubes and arrange half of them in the bottom of a glass bowl or trifle dish.
- Top with half the bananas and half of the sliced strawberries. Spread half of the banana pudding over the berries. Top with the remaining cake cubes, bananas, and strawberries.
- Spread the remaining pudding over the berries, making sure to seal the edges.
- Whip the cream till soft peaks form. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla and continue beating till stiff peaks form. Spoon over the top of the pudding.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries if desired. Serve within a couple of hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 244mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 2gSugar: 39gProtein: 7g