Made from scratch Banana Cream Pie is one of the most delicious pies you will ever taste! The homemade pudding knocks the boxed pudding out of the water. So rich and creamy!
My food assignment for Thanksgiving involves baking. Which is perfect, because I love baking! I am usually in charge of rolls or pies, or some of both. My family doesn’t love pumpkin pie, so I usually leave that one for someone else and make other pie recipes. We always have an apple pie, and then a few non-traditional pies.
I’ve noticed the last few years that the Banana Cream Pie is always the first one gone. I knew my boys loved it, but apparently so does everyone else!
If you’ve never had a homemade banana cream pie with pudding that doesn’t come from a box, and real whipped cream on top, you are missing out! Yes, the instant pudding/Cool Whip variety is faster, but I think this one is so worth it. Especially for Thanksgiving. It only comes once a year after all. 🙂
Banana Cream Pie
- 9 inch pastry crust, baked and cooled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Stir sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in a large saucepan. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks till smooth. Gradually whisk in the milk; mix well. Slowly stir the milk mixture into the saucepan, whisk together.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir for 1-2 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. (If desired, pour through a metal strainer to remove any lumps.)
- Place saucepan in an ice water bath to cool the pudding. ( I usually fill my sink with 2-3 inches of ice water and place the pan in it.) Stir often to prevent a skin from forming on the top of the pudding.
- Slice the bananas into the pie shell. Pour the lukewarm pudding over the bananas. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Whip the cream till soft peaks form. Whip in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread on top of the chilled pie. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 5g