My food assignment for Thanksgiving involves baking. Which is perfect, because I love baking! I am usually in charge of rolls or pies, or some of both. My family doesn’t love pumpkin pie, so I usually leave that one for someone else and make other pie recipes. We always have an apple pie, and then a few non-traditional pies.
I’ve noticed the last few years that the Banana Cream Pie is always the first one gone. I knew my boys loved it, but apparently so does everyone else!
If you’ve never had a homemade banana cream pie with pudding that doesn’t come from a box, and real whipped cream on top, you are missing out! Yes, the instant pudding/Cool Whip variety is faster, but I think this one is so worth it. Especially for Thanksgiving. It only comes once a year after all. 🙂
Banana Cream Pie
- 9 inch pastry crust, baked and cooled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Stir sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in a large saucepan. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks till smooth. Gradually whisk in the milk; mix well. Slowly stir the milk mixture into the saucepan, whisk together.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir for 1-2 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. (If desired, pour through a metal strainer to remove any lumps.)
- Place saucepan in an ice water bath to cool the pudding. ( I usually fill my sink with 2-3 inches of ice water and place the pan in it.) Stir often to prevent a skin from forming on the top of the pudding.
- Slice the bananas into the pie shell. Pour the lukewarm pudding over the bananas. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Whip the cream till soft peaks form. Whip in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread on top of the chilled pie. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 5g