These Meatballs in Cream Sauce are definitely a new family favorite! Even the never-willingly-finish-his-dinner 5 year old asked for seconds.
Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients, it is really quite simple to throw together. The meatballs are easy to whip up, but if you are in a huge hurry, you could use frozen meatballs.
The sauce is delicious! And even though it’s called “cream sauce”, it contains no cream, so not only is it a healthier option, I always have the ingredients on hand. We like to serve it over curly noodles, because they hold the sauce, making every bite amazing.
These are a perfect family meal, you have got to try them!!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- For meatballs: Combine all ingredients. Mix really well and roll into balls. (I use a cookie dough scoop.)
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally so they brown evenly.
- For sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth. Gradually add broth and milk; stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes, or till slightly thickened. Add parsley.
- Drain meatballs on paper towels; transfer to a serving dish. Top with sauce. Serve over hot pasta.
-If you want the sauce slightly thicker, cut down the chicken broth to 1 cup.
-If you are using fresh parsley, sprinkle it on top of the meatballs rather than stirring it into the sauce.
-I make up batches of these and freeze them. I've frozen them both cooked and uncooked, and both ways work just great. It makes for fast and easy dinners on busy nights. The uncooked ones bake for about 25-30 minutes if not thawed first. The cooked ones just need to be heated up, so that takes 15-20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 734mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 28g
-Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
Supplies used for this meatball recipe: