For years I have struggled with making pretty cupcakes. Tasty cupcakes I could do. But cupcakes with the pretty swirled frosting on top? They eluded me no matter what recipe for frosting I tried. It was darn frustrating!
I am happy to announce that thanks to this cupcake frosting tutorial, I finally found out what I was doing wrong. I was using the wrong star tip! Apparently you need to use a really large star tip to make pretty frosting swirls.
In celebration, I came up with this recipe for Mint Chocolate Cupcakes. It took me a couple of tries to find a cupcake recipe that would hold up to the filling, and these fit the bill. They were scribbled in my notebook marked “to try”, so I’m not sure where I even found the recipe.
They are dense and moist and have pretty crackled tops. Then they are filled with yummy mint fudge-y goodness. And topped with mint frosting that not only tastes fabulous, but looks pretty as well. Hooray!! I am a huge fan of the Mint Hershey Kisses that come out this time of year, so I used them in the filling, and as a garnish on top. They are so good!
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Fudge Filling
- 6 Tbsp soft butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plus 6 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
Chocolate Mint Filling:
- 8 Hershey's mint truffle kisses
- 2 Tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4-1/2 tsp peppermint extract
Cream Cheese Mint Frosting:
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (more or less)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream (more or less)
- A few drops of green food coloring
- Cream butter and sugars for about 3 minutes, or till very light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Whisk together the buttermilk and sour cream and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, soda, and salt. Add the buttermilk mixture alternately with the dry ingredients, about a third at a time. Mix well.
- Spoon batter into paper lined or very well greased muffin pans. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Filling: Melt kisses, chocolate chips, and cream in a small glass bowl in the microwave at 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then stir in powdered sugar and peppermint extract to your liking.
- Fill the cupcakes either by piping the filling in the middle, or by cutting an inverted cone in the top, pulling it out, spooning in some filling, and replacing the cone. Frost with mint frosting and garnish with a halved mint truffle kiss.
- Frosting: Beat together cream cheese and butter till smooth. Add remaining ingredients, adding enough cream to achieve the correct consistency. Pipe onto the top of cupcakes using a large star tip. (For best piping, the frosting needs to be pretty stiff.)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 493Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 275mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 2gSugar: 55gProtein: 5g