Made with butterscotch pudding and chips in the batter, then topped with yummy butterscotch frosting, these Butterscotch Cupcakes are a special treat for butterscotch fans!
I think butterscotch is a flavor that tends to get overlooked while its cousin caramel always steals the spotlight. I enjoy both of them, but today I’m giving butterscotch a little love.
These Double Butterscotch Cupcakes have butterscotch pudding and chips in the batter, and are topped with butterscotch frosting. Now that’s some serious butterscotch flavor!
These butterscotch cupcakes are inspired by my super yummy pistachio cupcakes. The pudding in the batter not only adds great flavor, but makes the cupcakes so moist and tender. One of the best cupcake bases ever!
The frosting starts with browned butter. If you’ve never tried it, don’t be afraid. Just cook your butter in a saucepan over medium heat for a few minutes. It will start to foam, then turn a light brown color. The only thing you have to be careful of is that you don’t burn it. As soon as it starts to brown, add the other ingredients.
Browned butter adds such a wonderful depth of flavor; I promise it will be worth it!
Don’t they look yummy? If you love butterscotch, you’ve gotta try ’em!
A few more fantastic cake and cupcake recipes:
- Oreo Cupcakes
- Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Lemon Drop Cakes
- Butterfinger Cake
- Reese’s Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Easy Pound Cake Recipe
- Homemade Chocolate Cake
- German Chocolate Cake
- White Chocolate Raspberry Bundt Cake
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 3.4 oz box instant butterscotch pudding
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- dash of cinnamon
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, dry pudding mix, sugar, baking power, salt, and butterscotch chips. In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir till just combined. Pour into 20 paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting: Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Cook till it foams and starts to turn light brown. Quickly add brown sugar. Stir and cook till mixture comes to a boil.
- Slowly whisk in the cream, and bring to a boil again, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add salt, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Cool for about 20 minutes. Beat in powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp of milk, adding more milk as needed for a thick and creamy frosting.
- Pipe onto cupcakes. Garnish with butterscotch chips if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 219mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 0gSugar: 32gProtein: 3g