My mom has a stellar stash of vintage cookbooks, and every time I go to her house I find myself pulling one out and looking through the recipes. Last time I found a crepe cookbook. Yep, and entire cookbook filled with just crepe recipes. Everything from appetizer crepes to dessert crepes. I saw a recipe for chicken crepes and just knew I had to try it.
The original recipe called for asparagus and swiss cheese, so I adapted it to fit my family’s (read kid’s) tastes. They were phenomenal! I made the crepes from scratch, but you could certainly buy the pre-made ones. I loved every bite of this dish, and I felt like I was eating in a fancy restaurant. I see more savory crepes in my future for sure. 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
Filling and sauce:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper and onion powder
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 6 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped and steamed till barely tender
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- For crepes, combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend till smooth. Chill for 30-60 minutes to thicken.
- To cook, pour about 3 tablespoons of batter into the middle of a non-stick round skillet that has been heated to medium hot. Swirl the pan around to spread the batter till it is very thin. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook 1-2 minutes on the other side. Cook all crepes and set aside.
- For filling: Cook cubed chicken in olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In same skillet, melt the 4 Tbsp butter. Whisk in the flour, then the milk. Cook and stir till thick and creamy. Boil for at least a minute to remove flour taste.
- Add salt, pepper, and cheese. Cook and stir till cheese is melted.
- Set aside about a cup of sauce. To the remaining sauce in the skillet, add the cooked chicken and broccoli. Stir till coated. Remove from heat.
- Fill crepes with chicken broccoli mixture. Place into 2 greased 9x13" pans. Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes, or till hot.
- Heat sauce that was set aside, adding milk to thin if needed. Serve crepes with sauce and garnish with sliced almonds if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 156mgSodium: 682mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 27g
One serving is two crepes.