This recipe for homemade Chicken Haystacks is so flavorful and delicious, it’s worth the extra few minutes to make the sauce yourself!
I’ve posted a recipe for chicken haystacks before. It is super simple and has been a family favorite for years. Haystacks are perfect for feeding crowds because you start with rice and a creamy chicken sauce. After that everyone can top it with whatever they want!
My old recipe calls for cream of chicken soup as the base, which is why it makes such a speedy meal. But I know that canned soup isn’t the healthiest thing out there, so I’ve been trying to cut back on it at our house.
I saw this haystack recipe over at My Kitchen Cafe, and just had to give it a try. Is it a little more work? Yes. Did I think it was worth it? Absolutely!! Not only is it a healthier version, but it is so much more flavorful thanks to the addition of onions and garlic. So yummy!
On hectic nights, I’m sure sometimes I’ll revert back to my old chicken haystack recipe, but when I have the time, I’ll always prefer this one. I hope your family enjoys this new version of chicken haystacks as much as mine does!
If there’s a topping that your family enjoys, please feel free to share it in the comments and I’ll add it to the list.
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Topping suggestions:
- -grated cheese
- -diced tomatoes
- -sliced green onions
- -sliced olives
- -Bugles (this is a family favorite!)
- -crunchy chow mein noodles
- -sliced celery
- -toasted chopped or sliced almonds
- -pineapple chunks
- -toasted coconut
- -mandarin oranges
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Saute the onions till tender, then add the garlic for the last minute or two.
- Whisk in the salt, pepper, and flour. Slowly whisk in the milk and chicken broth. Cook and stir over medium heat till bubbly. Boil for at least one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the shredded chicken and heat through. Serve over hot rice with you choice of toppings. Be creative!
Other chicken recipes you might enjoy: