I love to cook,and sometimes I don’t mind spending time making a great dinner. But other days, I want something FAST! I got this recipe for Korean Beef from the Six Sisters’ cookbook that I talked about a couple of weeks ago.
It literally takes about 5 minutes of prep time (mincing garlic and slicing green onions), and it is ready in about 20 minutes. And my family loved it!! It is going into my “hectic family evenings when you don’t want fast food” recipe file.At first my boys balked at adding the green onions to their servings, but I told them they had to try them. They really do add something to this dish. And much to their surprise, every kid decided they liked them on top. They are a good balance to the spicy sweet ground beef mixture.
I served ours over white rice, but you could substitute brown rice if you prefer. I served ours with a tossed salad (that I made my teenagers prepare), and it was a perfect meal! I hope you’ll give this one a try!
Easy Korean Beef and Rice
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice (more or less)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Brown ground beef and garlic in a large skillet. Drain off any fat.
- Add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes (or as long as it takes your rice to cook). If desired, add more red pepper flakes to taste.
- To serve, spoon beef mixture over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with sliced green onions.
Note: The original recipe calls for browning the ground beef in 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. When I went to add it, I could not find mine. I made it without the sesame oil, and it's still amazing, so I just leave it out.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 656mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 24g