I am still up to my eyeballs in my darn bathroom re-model project. But at least I am to the decorating part now, that is much more fun. Because I have been so busy, I’ve been sticking with simple meals. Sometimes we just have to settle for sandwiches for dinner. Since I’m not cooking any exciting meals, I am dipping into my archives.
I cannot believe that I haven’t shared this recipe for General Tso Chicken with you yet. I had to double check my entries to make sure it really wasn’t there. I tried it a couple of months ago and we loved it! I totally thought that I had already blogged it, but apparently it slipped under the radar. I found the recipe over at Favorite Family Recipes.
The sauce is really flavorful, and you can make it as spicy as you like by adding more red pepper flakes. I only use a little since I was serving my kiddos. I really like that the chicken isn’t deep fat fried. I love Chinese food, but I always feel guilty eating it because it is loaded with calories. This was a perfect substitution for me. I didn’t even miss all that grease. 😉
General Tso’s Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Cut chicken in 1" pieces.
- Mix together flour and cayenne pepper. Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
- Cook chicken in a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium high heat till outside is brown and juices run clear.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Slowly whisk in liquids, garlic, and ginger. Cook and stir over medium high heat till thick and bubbly. Add red pepper flakes to taste, and green onions.
- Pour over chicken and stir to coat. Serve with fluffy rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 964mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 38g