This delicious honey garlic chicken recipe is perfect if you’re looking for a dinner recipe that is both quick and delicious! The instant pot makes it a snap to prepare.
With just a few simple ingredients and a bit of prep, you can enjoy a flavorful and satisfying meal in no time. It’s a great option on busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.
I have been on a quest to perfect this recipe for over a year! I’ve tried baking it, cooking it in the crockpot, and even cooking it in a skillet. And of course I’ve tweaked the ingredients in the honey garlic chicken sauce multiple times.
After many attempts, I finally came up with a recipe that I thought was worthy of publishing. The chicken is tender, and the sweet and savory sauce is packed with flavor. My entire family gobbled it right up!
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN
- PREP – Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, dice the onion, and mince the garlic. Spray the inside of the Instant Pot with non stick cooking spray.
- SAUTE – Turn your Instapot to SAUTE, and add half of the oil. When it is hot, brown half of the chicken chunks. You just need to brown, not cook all the way through. Remove the chunks and repeat with the remaining oil and chicken. (Alternatively, you can brown all of the chicken at one time in a large skillet.)
- SAUCE – Return all of the chicken to the pot and add the salt, pepper, onion, soy sauce, ketchup, honey, and red pepper flakes.
- COOK – Add the lid, and make sure the valve is set to seal. Use the manual setting to turn the Instapot to HIGH pressure for 3 minutes. When it’s done, use the quick release. Remove the lid.
- THICKEN THE SAUCE – Set the instapot to SAUTE. Make a slurry by whisking together the cornstarch and cold water. Add to the sauce. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- SERVE – This dish pairs perfectly with steamed rice and your favorite vegetables! Garnish with chopped green onions and additional sesame seeds for a beautiful presentation.
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, they are fantastic the next day! I like to store the chicken/sauce and the rice in separate containers. They will last 3-4 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
We simply reheat in the microwave for a minute or two, but you could also reheat in a saucepan over medium heat.
You can also freeze the leftover chicken and sauce. I like to use heavy duty ziplock bags. Just make sure your food is completely cool before transferring it to the freezer. It should last 2-3 months in the freezer.
HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN INSTANT POT VARIATIONS:
- Feel free to use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast. Just brown them whole instead of chopping. You will need to increase the cooking time to 10 minutes instead of 3.
- Instead of red pepper flakes, you can use 2-3 teaspoons of sriracha sauce.
- If you are concerned about sodium intake, use a low sodium soy sauce.
- For a nutty, earthy flavor, add 2-3 teaspoons of sesame oil.
- My family likes this chicken best served over white rice, but you could use brown rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa for an even healthier dish.
MORE TASTY ASIAN RECIPES:
- Ham Fried Rice Recipe
- Korean Ground Beef
- Easy Orange Chicken Recipe
- Ground Beef Lo Mein
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken
- Sweet n Sour Chicken
HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN RECIPE
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2/3 cup diced onion (1 small onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp cold water
- Spray the inside of the Instant Pot with non stick cooking spray. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, dice the onion, and mince the garlic.
- Turn the Instant Pot to "Saute", and add half of the oil. When hot, add half of the cubed chicken and cook just until browned. Remove and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Add all of the chicken pieces to the pot and add the salt, pepper, onion, garlic, soy sauce, ketchup, honey, and red pepper flakes. Use a metal spatula to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Secure the lid, and make sure the valve is set to seal. Set the instapot to "Manual/High" for 3 minutes.
- When it’s done, use quick release to let out the steam. Remove the lid.
- Set the instapot to SAUTE. Whis together the cornstarch and cold water until dissolved. Add to the sauce. Cook and stir until the sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
-You can brown the chicken in a skillet and then transfer it to the Instant Pot. There's another dish to wash, but it can be cooked all in one batch.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 886mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 48g
This quick and easy honey garlic instant pot chicken recipe is sure to become a family favorite! If you make it, leave a comment letting me know how it turns out. 🙂