If you’re looking for a delicious and easy meal that’s sure to be a hit with the family, try this ham fried rice recipe instead of getting takeout!
Filled with flavor from the salty ham and crunchy vegetables, and ready in under 30 minutes, it’s perfect for weeknight dinners.
Why I LOVE this easy ham recipe:
- Unlike take-out ham fried rice that has just a few bits of ham, this recipe is loaded, so it’s higher in protein and filling enough to be served as a main dish.
- It’s also filled with vegetables, which aren’t just for color, they also add nutrients and fiber.
- You can control the ingredients, so it’s easily adaptable to the ingredients you have on hand.
- It is a perfect dinner recipe to take to friends who’ve had surgery or a new baby.
- A bit of bacon (and some of the bacon grease) add so much flavor! It’s not a traditional ingredient, but I’ve never had complaints!
- It is a perfect way to use up leftover ham. We often have it the week after Easter.
- It’s ready in minutes, stores well, and makes fantastic leftovers!
- Not only does it taste better than the kind you can buy, it will save you a bunch of money to make it yourself.
Regular long grain rice or jasmine rice work great. You can also use brown rice to make the dish even more healthy.
Whatever type of rice you use, it’s best if it is cold, or at least cool. Hot rice can clump together because it is still coated in starch.
Most ham fried rice isn’t gluten free because it contains soy sauce. This recipe, however, doesn’t contain soy sauce, so it is gluten free! I just serve the soy sauce on the side.
You can however, find gluten free soy sauce, or substitute coconut aminos or tamari.
HOW TO MAKE HAM FRIED RICE
- PREP – Cut the bacon into strips. Wash, peel, and dice the vegetables. Dice the ham. Whisk together the eggs; set aside. If you don’t have leftover rice, cook the rice.
- BACON – Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove all but a tablespoon of bacon grease in the pan.
- VEGETABLES – Add the diced vegetables. Cook and stir over medium or medium high heat until crisp tender.
- COMBINE – Add the ham, frozen vegetables, and rice. Cook and stir until heated through.
- EGGS – Scoot the mixture to the side of the skillet. Melt the tablespoon of butter, then add the eggs. Cook & stir until scrambled.
- SEASON – Stir in the eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- SERVE – If desired, serve with soy sauce on the side. Enjoy!
This recipe makes a large batch, and the leftover fried rice will last for 5-6 days in the refrigerator. You can simply reheat it in the microwave for a minute or two.You can also freeze the leftovers, but the rice does soften up as it thaws. I like to store leftovers in a heavy duty ziplock bag, but you can use any freezer safe container.Let it thaw in the refrigerator, then reheat in the microwave. If it seems dry, you can add a bit of water or broth.
- If you don’t have bacon on hand, you can omit it and just use a tablespoon of olive oil or butter to cook the vegetables.
- Sometimes I add a clove or two of minced garlic after the veggies are cooked. Delish!
- Toss in some sugar snap peas, bean sprouts, or mushrooms. Really, you can use any vegetables you like.
- Like things spicy? Stir in some red pepper flakes.
- Drizzle with some sesame oil before serving, or serve it on the side.
- Green onions make a terrific garnish.
More recipes using leftover ham:
- Ham Wild Rice Soup
- Egg Muffin Cup Recipe
- Ham and Broccoli Pasta
- Broccoli Ham Braid
- Ham and Pea Pasta
- Broccoli and Ham Soup
- Ham Potato Bake
HAM FRIED RICE RECIPE
- 3 strips bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 1/4 cups diced celery
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 1/2 cups diced ham
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 6 cups cooked white rice (It's best if it's cold.)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- If you don't have leftover rice, cook the rice and cool it. Cold rice works best.
- Wash and dice all the vegetables; set aside. Dice the ham. Whisk together the eggs.
- Brown the bacon in a large electric skillet over medium heat. Remove all but a tablespoon of grease in the skillet.
- Add vegetables to the skillet and saute until crisp tender. If it looks dry or starts to burn, you can add a bit of water.
- Add the ham, frozen vegetables, and rice. Cook and stir till heated through.
- Scoop the mixture to the side and melt the butter in the empty part of the skillet. Add the eggs. Cook and stir till they start to cook. Stir into the rest of the rice mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with soy sauce and green onions if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 700mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g
This recipe for ham fried rice has been a family favorite for years! The bacon may not be traditional, but it sure does set it apart from the rest!