I hosted book club at my house last night. Usually we just have dessert, but I wanted to coax some of the non-regulars into coming, so I told everyone I would be serving soup and homemade rolls. It worked and we had a great turnout! There’s nothing like free dinner that entices people out of their warm houses on a cold winter night, myself included. Everything seems to taste better when you don’t have to make it. Why is that?
Anyway, I served Mexican Chicken Chili, Oatmeal rolls, and Butter Brickle Dessert. I told everyone I would start posting the recipes today, but alas, my son took my thumb drive to school today because he has a powerpoint presentation to do. I didn’t get a chance to download the pictures. 🙁
And I am off on a scrapbooking weekend-yippee!! So I won’t be here to use it when he comes home from school. I promise I will post all the yummy recipes from last night starting next week. But for today, this recipe for lemon bread will have to do. It is a good one, though I admit it is not as yummy and addicting as Butter Brickle Dessert. (At least it has less calories, that should make you happy.)
I made this lemon pecan bread because I had sour cream and lemons in the fridge that needed to be used up. We really like it, it has the perfect amount of lemon flavor. And I love the crunch from the nuts. I think sliced almonds would also be good in it.
-The original recipe called for all butter. I used half oil because it makes for a moister bread. (Oil is liquid at room temp, butter isn’t, hence, a more moist loaf. Cool, huh?)
-I made this into a smaller loaf and some mini muffins. The muffins baked for about 10 minutes, the small loaf for about 40.
GLAZED LEMON NUT BREAD RECIPE
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp lemon peel
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 chopped pecans (toasted is best)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Chop pecans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9x5" loaf pan with Baker's Joy, or use shortening and flour.
- Cream oil, butter, and sugar in a large mixing bowl till light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream, and lemon peel.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and the nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 325° for about 55 minutes.
- Heat sugar and lemon juice in the microwave or a small saucepan till sugar is dissolved. Brush over the top and sides of the hot bread.
- Remove bread from the pan and let cool before slicing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g