I think every family has certain Thanksgiving recipes that they have to have every year. This fruit cocktail recipe is one of our Thanksgiving traditions. It’s a recipe from my grandma Dessie, my mom’s mom. She died when I was only 6 months old, but I’ve been told that she enjoyed cooking as much as I do!
We’ve had this fruit cocktail every Thanksgiving since I was teeny tiny. My mom makes up a huge batch (more than doubled), and we eat it for breakfast for the next few days. It is nothing like the canned fruit cocktail with the disgusting squishy grapes! We’ve only had it with homemade bottled fruit, so I have no idea how it would be with canned peaches and pears. Truth be told, I’ve never even tasted them!
Homemade Fruit Cocktail
- 2 quarts of bottled peaches, drained, cut in bite sized pieces
- 2 quarts of bottled pears with juice, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 20 oz can pineapple tidbits or chunks, with juice
- 1 Tbsp frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1 cup purple grapes, halved
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 12 Maraschino cherries
- Combine peaches, pears with juice, pineapple with juice, and lemonade concentrate in a very large bowl.
- Stir together and add juice from the bottled peaches if needed.
- Cover and chill for 4 hours or until cold.
- Add sliced bananas just before serving. Garnish with maraschino cherries.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 26mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 6gSugar: 35gProtein: 2g
Is there one special dish that your family has every Thanksgiving? I mean besides turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie, and mashed potatoes? 🙂