Yellow Sheet Cake with Chocolate Frosting . . . this simple cake is always a crowd pleaser, and it is so easy to whip up. A classic dessert.
I grew up on chocolate sheet cake. We called it Texas fudge cake, and we had it often for birthdays and even Sunday dinners. It was always a favorite of mine, and I learned to make it myself at an early age.
Decades later, I still love a good homemade sheet cake, especially one that is served warm. The frosting just melts into the nooks and crannies, and it is just so good!
This version is yellow instead of the traditional chocolate, and I have to admit that I actually enjoyed it just as much. Which is saying something, because I love my chocolate! But the buttery warm cake with the fudgy frosting is a delectable combination!
This yellow sheet cake whips up in just minutes, and it feeds a crowd. Everyone loves it! I always add my favorite secret ingredient to the batter- almond extract. It adds such a yummy layer of flavor!
One thing that makes this type of cake different is the way you frost it. You don’t have to wait till the cake cools, you pour the frosting on top while the cake is still hot. Not only does it keep the cake nice and moist, but it’s like eating a melted puddle of fudge on top of your cake. It’s unbeatable!
If you’ve never tried a Texas sheet cake before, you are missing out on one of the yummiest things on the planet. Give this one a try. You won’t be sorry. Your waistline might though. 😉
Yellow Sheet Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- dash of salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 1/2- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cake: Bring butter and water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. While mixture is boiling, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour hot mixture over dry ingredients and beat well.
- Whisk together baking soda, sour cream, eggs, and flavorings in a small bowl. Add to mixing bowl and beat till smooth.
- Pour into a well greased 10"x15" sheet pan with sides. Bake at 375° for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For frosting: Bring butter, cocoa, salt, and milk to a boil in a small saucepan. It may appear curdled- that's fine.
- While mixture is boiling, measure 3 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar into a mixing bowl. Pour boiling chocolate mixture over powdered sugar. Beat till smooth and add vanilla. Add more powdered sugar if needed.
- Pour over cake after it has cooled for about 5 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 475Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 258mgCarbohydrates: 90gFiber: 0gSugar: 80gProtein: 2g
And for more cake recipes that are TO DIE FOR, you can try these:
See all my CAKE RECIPES.