Ham and Cheese Pretzel Bites… ham and cheese all wrapped up in a chewy pretzel. No one can resist these tasty appetizers!
We are kind of obsessed with soft pretzels at my house. We make them all the time, and everyone in the family loves them. I decided this time around I would jazz them up a bit. After all, who can resist a pretzel filled with ooey gooey cheese and ham?
Well, these ham and cheese pretzel bites were a HUGE success. My kids have been begging me to make them again. I can’t blame them, these tasty little bites are simply irresistible!
The process is pretty simple. Start by making the pretzel dough, then divide it into fourths. Roll each portion into a rectangle about 12 x 4 inches long. Sprinkle some ham and cheese down the center. I used cheddar and mozzarella, but any cheese will work.
Gently pull up the sides and pinch the edges together to seal the whole thing.
Place the rolls on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, and let rise till doubled. Then you have the option of boiling the pretzel rolls. This step makes the pretzel bites more chewy like a traditional pretzel, but I tried some without boiling, and they were still fantastic. So it’s up to you.
To boil them, you gently drop a pretzel roll into a pot of boiling water that has baking soda and sugar in it. Boil for just a few seconds, then gently remove with two slotted spoons.
After they are boiled, cut the rolls into one inch slices and place them on well greased cookie or silicone lined cookie sheets. The boiled pretzels (the ones on the back of the cookie sheet below) will have an uneven texture, but don’t fret. They will bake up just fine.
When they are done baking, they will puff up beautifully and be oozing melted cheese and ham. As soon as they come out of the oven, brush them with melted butter and sprinkle a little coarse salt on top. Oh goodness. These ham and cheese pretzel bites are SO good!
If you love this amazing appetizer – perfect for your holiday celebrations – you’ll enjoy these, too!
Ham and Cheese Pretzel Bites
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups flour (more or less)
- 2 cups grated cheese of your choice
- 2 cups diced ham
- Butter for brushing tops
- Coarse salt (optional)
- For optional water bath:
- 3 quarts water
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Combine water, yeast, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Let sit till bubbly, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add milk, salt, and enough flour to make a fairly stiff dough. Knead a few times on a floured counter top. Return to the bowl and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion out into a 12x4" rectangle on a countertop sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 cup ham down the center of each rectangle. Pull up the sides and pinch closed. Place seam side down on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Let rise till doubled, 30-60 minutes.
- Optional water bath: Bring 3 quarts water, soda, and sugar to a rolling bowl. Carefully drop one long roll into the boiling water. Boil 10 seconds and flip over. Boil 10 more seconds and carefully remove with two slotted spoons.
- Cut each roll into one inch slices. Place on a well greased or silpat lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400° for about 15 minutes or till golden brown. Brush hot pretzel bites with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse salt if desired.
-Recipe originally posted on I Heart Naptime.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 69 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 9mg Sodium: 258mg Carbohydrates: 8g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g
See all my APPETIZERS.