Au Gratin Potatoes- Tender slices of potato surrounded by creamy cheese sauce. A perfect side dish to any meal.
Potatoes. If there was a popularity contest for vegetables, I’m pretty sure potatoes would win. Is there anyone who doesn’t like them? Even the pickiest eaters I’ve ever heard of (that thankfully don’t reside at my house), will eat potatoes. They are the ultimate comfort food.
I love potatoes in just about any form, but these au gratin potatoes top my list. That crunchy cheesy part at the top just sucks me in. I could totally scrape the top off and eat it all by myself. But I don’t. That wouldn’t be nice.
Of course, underneath that crunchy top, there is the creamy, ooey gooey cheese filled goodness. So much yummy-ness all in one pan!
This time around, I used potatoes that were ginormous, so it threw off the sauce/potato ratio. Still delicious, but not quite as saucy. So if you like that sauce in the middle, make sure your potatoes are just medium sized.
- 6 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (sharp is best)
- Peel and slice potatoes, then place in a large bowl of cold water to prevent browning. Set aside. Cook and stir onion and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat till onions are tender.
- Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir till hot and bubbly.
- Slowly whisk in milk. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Boil for at least one minute. Add cheese and stir till melted.
- Drain the water off of the potatoes, then pour the sauce over the top. Stir till well coated, then pour into a large casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-cooking spray.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375° for about 60 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or till potatoes are tender and top is browned.
Here are some other potato recipes that will knock your socks off:
Cheesy Ranch Red Potatoes
Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
Easy Cheesy Potatoes
Supplies used for this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links.