These extra easy Almond Sugar Cookies are buttery, crisp on the edges, and chewy in the middle. Almond extract in the dough and the sugar cookie frosting make them extra flavorful!
I’ve been making these cookies for years, and they are always a hit! They can be decorated to match any holiday or event, and you will always come home with an empty tray.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE SUGAR COOKIES WITH ALMOND EXTRACT
- They call for just six simple ingredients, and the dough comes together in minutes.
- You don’t have to chill the dough, you can get right to baking.
- No cookie cutters, no rolling pin needed! Just roll the dough into balls and flatten them with a glass. No mess!
- Every bite is buttery, chewy, and packed with almond flavor.
- They are topped with a creamy almond sugar cookie frosting. It’s so yummy!
SUGAR COOKIES WITHOUT THE FUSS
Love sugar cookies but hate taking all the time to roll them out? Me too!
These easy sugar cookies require no rolling out on the counter top! Just roll them in balls and squish them.
They are quick to put together and have great flavor. When my kids were little, they loved dipping the glass in sugar and then smashing the cookies flat. So many fun memories of baking these almond Christmas cookies for friends and neighbors!
Can I just use vanilla extract instead?
I absolutely love this sugar cookie recipe with almond flavoring, but if you aren’t fond of it, you can substitute vanilla. They aren’t quite the same. Make sure you use a good quality vanilla extract or they tend to be a little bland. You may even want to add vanilla beans.
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND SUGAR COOKIES
- PREP – Let your butter come to room temperature on the counter.
- WET INGREDIENTS – In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and almond extract together until creamy. I use a hand mixer, but you can use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- DRY INGREDIENTS – Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Add to creamed mixture and stir just till combined.
- FORM – Roll dough into balls approximately 1 1/4″ across. Place on silicone lined or lightly greased cookie sheets.
Flatten each cookie with a glass dipped in sugar. The thinner you press them, the more crisp they will be.
- BAKE – Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes, or until the edges are barely light brown. Let cool on pans for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- FROST – After cookies are cooled, spread the tops with frosting. Garnish the tops with sprinkles or sliced almonds if desired.
ALMOND SUGAR COOKIE FROSTING
To make the homemade frosting, beat the soft butter, powdered sugar, almond extract, vanilla, salt, and cream till smooth, adding as much cream as you need to get a spreadable consistency.
The buttery cookies topped with the sweet almond frosting are simply irresistible!
They aren’t just perfect for Christmas, you can use different colors of sprinkles and make them for any occasion.
And of course if you prefer, you can add food coloring to the frosting with the cream.
Or you can just decorate the tops with sliced almonds.
LEFTOVERS? If you have any leftover cookies, just store them in an airtight container. I like to place waxed paper between the layers to protect the frosting. They will last at room temperature for up to a week. The frosting helps keep them soft.
If you prefer, you can store them in the refrigerator. You can serve them cold, or let them come to room temperature first.
You can also freeze the cookies, but I recommend freezing them before you frost them. Then when ready to serve, let them thaw and then add the frosting.
MORE RECIPES WITH ALMOND EXTRACT:
TASTY COOKIE RECIPES TO TRY:
ALMOND SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
FROSTING FOR SUGAR COOKIES
- 1/3 cup butter, very soft
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- dash salt
- 2 Tbsp cream (or milk)
- Mix butter, sugar and extract in a large bowl. Beat until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir till mixed well.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and flatten balls to 1/4 inch thickness with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 375 for 7-9 minutes or until edges are barely lightly browned. Cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet before moving to cooling racks.
- Cool completely. Frost cookies and decorate with sprinkles if desired.
- Frosting: Beat together all ingredients till smooth and creamy, adding as much cream or milk as needed.
For crisper cookies, cook until the edges are golden brown.
Sugar cookie recipe inspired by Your Homebased Mom.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
These simple almond sugar cookies are so tasty and so pretty that I bet after just one bite you will want to add them to your regular cookie rotation!