Broccoli Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes– Colorful and flavorful, these potatoes are loaded with good stuff and hearty enough to be a meal all by themselves!
A couple months ago, we bought a 50 pound bag of potatoes from a neighbor that was selling them for a fundraiser. Good thing my family loves potatoes, because fifty pounds is A LOT of potatoes. Since it’s the middle of winter, I’ve used most of them in soup like this Bacon Corn Chowder. But one night I decided to experiment with twice baked potatoes. I found a recipe for Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes, but it was pretty time consuming and involved making a cheese sauce. I wanted something faster.
I followed a basic recipe for twice baked potatoes, but just added a few extra ingredients till the filling tasted good to me. Then I stuffed them and popped them back in the oven to heat up, crossing my fingers that the end result would be edible. Thankfully, the potatoes turned out delicious, and my whole family loved them!
You may notice that there is no butter on the ingredient list. I was going to add it, but forgot. And you know what? We did not miss it at all! With the sour cream, cheese, and bacon, these potatoes have plenty of flavor. I actually used my favorite fat free sour cream, so as far as loaded baked potatoes go, these are pretty healthy!
I served them as a main dish, and my teenage boys finished off both halves of their potatoes. But we did have leftovers, and they were great for lunch the next day.
Broccoli Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes
- 5 large russet baking potatoes
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups fresh chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup sour cream (light or fat free are fine)
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup bacon bits, divided
- Scrub potatoes clean. Rub with the canola oil and place on a cookie sheet. Stab each of them with a sharp knife to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 400° for one hour, or until you can poke them easily with a fork.
- When the potatoes are almost done, steam the broccoli till crisp tender, set aside.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and cut each one in half lengthwise. Scrape out the insides into a large mixing bowl, being careful not to tear the outside shell. (They are hot, so I hold them with a hot pad.)
- Mash the potatoes. Add the sour cream, milk, and salt and pepper.
- Set aside 1/3 cup grated cheese and 2 Tbsp bacon bits. Add the remaining cheese, bacon bits, green onion, and broccoli to the potatoes. Mix well and add more seasoning if desired.
- Fill the potato shells with the potato mixture. Sprinkle with reserved cheese, then sprinkle with reserved bacon bits.
- Place potatoes back onto the baking sheet, and put in the oven. Turn the heat down to 350° and bake for 15-20 more minutes, or till potatoes are heated through and cheese is bubbly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 542Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 738mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 10gSugar: 5gProtein: 20g