Creamy Corn Chowder with Bacon. . . this hearty soup is loaded with tasty ingredients. Everyone who tries it loves it!
Soup. I pretty much adore it. I love how comforting it is on a cold night. I love that I can whip up a large pot and have leftover soup the next day that tastes even better. I have many recipes for soup, but this one is definitely a favorite at our house. Bacon just makes everything taste better, and this corn chowder is no exception!
This soup is so easy to make. The hardest part is peeling the potatoes. I usually assign one of my boys to do that job. They really love this corn chowder, so they don’t complain too much. 😉
I love the combination of the salty bacon and the sweet corn. Mmm. This soup is perfect for warming you up on a cold winter day!
Looking for more tasty soup recipes? Here are a few more of our favorites:
Corn Chowder with Bacon
- 6 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 pound bacon, cut up
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 1/2 cups milk or half and half cream
- 6 cups frozen corn
- Pepper to taste
- Cook veggies in broth and salt in a large soup pot till crisp tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a saucepan, cook the bacon over medium low heat till very crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked bacon from pan.
- Drain off all but 3-4 tablespoons of bacon grease. Whisk in the flour till there are no lumps. Slowly whisk in about 2 cups of the milk. Continue to cook and stir till mixture thickens and boils. Boil for at least 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the white sauce to the vegetable mixture. Mash soup slightly with a potato masher if desired. Stir in the remaining milk, the corn, and about 3/4 of the bacon. Heat through.
- Garnish soup with the remaining bacon.
-If you have fresh corn, (lucky you), it works great. Don't use canned, it is just not the same for this recipe.
-Make sure you brown your bacon over low heat or the drippings will burn and turn the soup an ugly color. Sadly, I learned this the hard way.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 555Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 1505mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 28g
See all my SOUP RECIPES.