Chocolate Chip Orange Scones- These tender scones are packed with flavor, and are sure to perk up any morning.
It has been a hectic week at our house, and neither my husband nor I have had time to do major grocery shopping. As a result, our refrigerator is mighty bare. When I opened it this morning: No eggs, no fruit, no vegetables, no cheese, and worst of all, only a tiny bit of milk left. Not enough for everyone to have cereal for breakfast.
Not even a stinkin’ granola bar or some crackers. I had to come up with something that requires no eggs and just a little milk. Do you ever have mornings like that?
I looked through my cookbook and found this old favorite– Chocolate Chip Orange Scones. We haven’t had them for a long time, because really they’re more like a treat than a breakfast food. Unless you pair them with some fruit and eggs, and then they definitely qualify as breakfast. Right?
They remind me of those chocolate covered orange sticks they sell at Christmas time. Yummo! I love the combination of chocolate and orange. Make sure you use the orange zest for best flavor. Oh, and if you don’t happen to have mini chips, you can use the regular size in a pinch.
Usually I just brush the tops with milk and sprinkle on some sugar before baking. This time I opted for the glaze. They are scrumptious either way!
Easy Chocolate Chip Orange Scones
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp cold butter or margarine, cubed
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp orange juice (Sometimes I have to add a little more)
- 2 tsp grated orange peel
- Milk and sugar for tops (optional)
- Cut butter into dry ingredients till coarse crumbs form. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Mix in orange peel and enough orange juice till dough is just moistened.
- Pat or roll to 1/2" thick on a lightly floured counter. Cut into eight pieces with a biscuit cutter and place on cookie sheet.
- If desired, brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes.
-If you really wanted to get fancy, you could mix up a little bit of glaze with OJ and powdered sugar and drizzle it over the tops.
-I like these best warm when the chocolate is still gooey. If you have any leftovers, warm them in the microwave for a few seconds.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 342mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g