Garlic Cheddar Breadstick Twists . . . these flavorful bread twists are the perfect side to just about any meal, but they are especially tasty served with soup!
I spent most of the day today with my sister and her adorable 2 year old daughter Dessie. It was so much fun because she is just the most delightful child. Sooo expressive! She can even entertain my boys with her cute antics, and they love making her giggle. They were asking her to make animal sounds, and I caught the end of the following conversation:
“Dessie, what does a doggie say?” . . . “Ruff, ruff”
“What does a pig say?” “Oink, oink.”
“What does a chicken say?” . . . Pause . . . “Don’t eat chicken!”
We all busted a gut over that one!!
I found the recipe for these cheese twists over at Culinary Concoctions by Peabody a few weeks ago. This is actually the second time I have made them. I adapted the recipe so I could use my instant yeast because it is such a time saver!!
They were really good the first time, but I had a bit of a hard time getting them to stick together, so they didn’t look very “twisted”. Rolling them out on an oiled surface instead of floured solved that problem.
You want to roll the ropes out really long and thin so that the twists will be more pronounced. After twisting two ropes together, place them on cookie sheets. I like to line mine with silicone liners so the cheese doesn’t stick. I was able to fit eight twists per pan.
Sprinkle the tops of the twists with cheddar cheese. (I think finely grated works best, but that’s a matter of preference.) Then let them raise till doubled in size. My kitchen was cold, so I heated my oven to 100°, then turned it off and put the pan in there. That’s why my cheese looks slightly melted.
Oh man, these are so good! I didn’t think the original recipe had much garlic flavor, and I love garlic, so I added another clove. You can use more or less depending on how much you like garlic.
I served them with my creamy sausage tortellini soup, and they were fantastic. So good dipped in the soup!
Here are a few more soups that would be perfect for dunking these breadsticks:
See all my SOUP RECIPES.
Garlic Cheddar Breadstick Twists
- 3 cups flour, divided
- 2 ½ tsp SAF instant yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cups hot water
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil for brushing
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine 2 cups of the flour with the yeast, sugar and salt in a Bosch or KitchenAid mixer. Add water and oil; beat on low speed till smooth.
- Stir in garlic and as much of the remaining flour as needed to make a soft dough. Knead in the mixer for 3-4 minutes on low. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly oiled surface. Cut dough into four pieces. Cut each fourth into 8 pieces. Roll out pieces into long ropes; twist two ropes together and pinch the ends to seal.
- Place twists 2" apart on silpat lined or greased baking sheets. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes or till doubled.
- Bake at 375° until lightly browned, about 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 266mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
See all my YEAST BREAD RECIPES.