Cinco de Mayo is coming up in a couple days, so I thought it would be fun to share another Mexican recipe with you. We actually tried these a few months ago. I can’t for the life of me remember why, but for some reason we were learning about Mexico. Probably a school project or something. Anyway, we needed a Mexican dessert, so we gave these a try.
They are a shortbread cookie and they just melt in your mouth. They are similar to the Mexican Wedding Cookies that everyone makes. I really liked the cinnamon flavor in these. We found that we enjoyed them even better when we rolled them in the sugar/cinnamon mixture a second time!
Mexican Cinnamon Cookies (Polvorones de Canele)
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar + 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Beat butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl till creamy. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Roll dough into balls, then in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely.
-They are extra yummy if you roll them in more powdered sugar/cinnamon after they are cooled.
-We usually like warm cookies, but these are definitely better after cooling.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g