These cute little nest cookies are easy to make, taste delicious, and are just perfect for Easter. Fill them with coconut and your favorite egg shaped candy for a fun treat!
With a sprinkling of green coconut and egg candies, these nest cookies will add a little pizazz to any Easter celebration! I found the recipe for these nest cookies in an old cookbook by Alisa Bangerter. I think they turned out so stinking cute!
Cream cheese adds a rich flavor to the cookies, and helps them stay extra soft and creamy. We love them with a bit of coconut and almond extract, but you can use whatever flavors you like.
I used Cadbury Mini Eggs, but Reese’s eggs, jelly beans, or any other egg shaped candy will do.
HOW TO MAKE NEST COOKIES:
- PREP WORK: Tint your coconut by placing it in a small jar with a lid and adding a few drops of green food coloring. Add the lid and shake vigorously till all the coconut is green. Spray cookie sheets or line with silicone liners. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- DOUGH: Similar to most cookie dough, you start by creaming the butter (and cream cheese) with the sugar. Beat in the egg and extracts, then stir in the dry ingredients.
- FORM COOKIES: Roll dough into balls and place on prepared cookie sheets. Use a round teaspoon or your thumb to make an indentation in each cookie.
- BAKE: Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350°. The cookies don’t brown, so just bake them until they are set. Remove from the oven and use the spoon to press down the indentation again.
- DECORATE: Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Sprinkle with tinted coconut and top with candies.
- If you don’t care for coconut, you can use green frosting instead. Pipe it on with a small holed tip so it resembles grass.
- Instead of adding green coconut grass to the cooled cookies, you can sprinkle coconut on the dough nests before putting them in the oven.
Easter recipes you should check out:
- Easter Cupcakes
- Bunny Rolls
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Easter Macaroons
- Old Fashioned Carrot Cake Recipe with Pineapple
MORE HOMEMADE COOKIES:
- Chocolate Cookies with Powdered Sugar
- Mint Meringue Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Easy Shortbread Cookies
- Best Snickerdoodle Recipe
- Andes Mint Cookies
RECIPE FOR NEST COOKIES
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Green food coloring
- 90 Cadbury mini eggs (or other egg shaped candies)
- Beat together butter and cream cheese in a large bowl till smooth. Beat in sugar. Add egg, vanilla, and extracts. Mix well. Stir in the flour and baking powder.
- Roll dough in balls (about the size of ping pongs).
- Place on lightly greased or silpat lined cookie sheets. Make an indentation in each one using the back of a teaspoon.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Cookies won't brown. Remove from oven and use the spoon to press down the indentation again.
- Remove to cooling racks and let cool completely.
- Mix coconut with a couple of drops of green food coloring in a pint sized mason jar with a lid. Cover and shake till coconut is tinted green.
- Fill nests with coconut, and add a few egg candies.
You may need more or less candies depending on size.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 644Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 259mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 1gSugar: 73gProtein: 6g
(originally published 4/18/2001, updated March 2021)
Whip up a batch of these cute coconut nest cookies. They are sure to brighten up your Easter festivities!