There are a few cookie recipes that we make over and over at our house. Chocolate chip, peanut butter, chocolate mint, and snickerdoodles. I was stunned to look in my archives and see that I have never posted a recipe for Snickerdoodles. What the? How did that happen? I blame mom brain. 😉
Snickerdoodles are basically a sugar cookie rolled in yummy cinnamon sugar goodness. With one exception–the addition of cream of tartar. It acts as a leavening, but it also gives them the signature tang that makes snickerdoodles, well, snickerdoodles. So don’t try leaving it out or subbing in another ingredient like baking powder.
Your cookies will no longer be Snickerdoodles, they’ll just be cinnamon sugar cookies. Which is totally fine, just don’t be calling them something they’re not or I’ll have too send the cookie police to your house to confiscate them. (If they happen to look exactly like my profile picture, it is purely coincidence.)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- Line baking sheets with silicone liners, or spray with non stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar with a hand mixer till light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs till well combined.
- Whisk together flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture till dough is well combined.
- Mix together cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll dough into tablespoon sized balls and roll in the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Place on prepared baking sheets about 2" apart. Bake at 375° for about 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a couple of minutes on the pan before removing to cooling racks.
-These really are best with half butter/half margarine, but you can use all of one if you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g