I am back from Girls Camp, and I am still trying to catch up on sleep, laundry, dishes, and housecleaning. Wowser! My poor husband had to deal with a sick baby while I was up in the mountains with no cell service, so I’m just glad everyone was fed and driven to all of their activities while I was gone.
Life continues to be crazy, so for the next few weeks I will be sharing some of the recipes I’ve got saved in my files. Because nothing new is happening in the way of home improvement projects, that’s for sure!
I adapted my favorite blondie recipe to come up with this yummy dessert. The maple flavoring gives them a rich, buttery, caramel flavor, so don’t leave it out! Toasting the pecans adds a great nutty flavor, so I recommend not skipping that step either. The bars alone are chewy and delicious, but topped with vanilla ice cream and homemade Maple Cream Sauce, they are out of this world!
-To toast nuts, spread on a rimmed cookie sheet and bake at 400° for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
MAPLE BLONDIES WITH MAPLE CREAM SAUCE
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp maple flavoring
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup pecans, toasted
Maple Cream Sauce
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tsp maple flavoring
- Whisk together melted butter and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs, vanilla, and maple flavoring and mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into creamed mixture. Add nuts.
- Spread into a well greased and parchment lined 9×13" pan.
- Bake at 350° for about 22-25 minutes. Top will be shiny and golden brown. Don't over-bake!
- For sauce: Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently. Boil for 2-4 minutes. The longer it cooks, the thicker it gets. Keep in mind that it will also thicken as it cools.
*I have also baked these in an 11x7" pan for 30 minutes. They turn out a bit taller, which I kinda liked.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 215mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g