Have you ever tried Oreo Truffles? They are similar to cake bites, but they are made with crushed up Oreos instead of cake. And boy oh boy are they divine! My good friend Michelle brought Mint Oreo Truffles to a young women’s activity, and you all know how I feel about chocolate mint. Of course I had to make some.
These little truffles are super easy to make, especially if you have a food processor. You can use a blender, but you will have to crush the Oreos in small batches. I learned by trial and error that a package of mint oreos contains fewer cookies than a regular package.
My first batch (made at a church activity with my cute young women), turned out a little squishy because we used a full 8oz package of cream cheese. I have adjusted the recipe accordingly. 🙂
Mint Oreo Truffles
- 1 15 oz box Cool Mint Oreos
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces of semi sweet chocolate chips (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 1/4 cup Mint chips or green candy melts (0ptional)
- Crush Oreos in a food processor or blender until very finely ground.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese till smooth. Add Oreo crumbs and mix till thoroughly combined. Cover and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Roll into 1" balls and place on a waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Chill while you prepare the chocolate.
- Melt shortening in a glass bowl in the microwave. Add chocolate chips. Cook at 50% power in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds till smooth.
- Dip truffles in the melted chocolate with a fork, then let excess chocolate drip off. I like to use a toothpick to push them off the end of the fork onto waxed paper. Let set till hardened.
- If desired, you can decorate the truffles with green drizzle. Melt green mint chips or candy melts in a small ziplock bag in the microwave at 50% power. Snip a small hole in the corner and drizzle over the tops. Let sit till hardened.
-You can substitute melting chocolate, white chocolate, or almond bark for the chocolate chips. Just omit the shortening.
-If using chocolate chips, do not replace the shortening with butter or margarine! They contain water, and it will cause the chocolate to seize up and harden.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 107Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 22mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g