I hope that you are not getting tired of chocolate recipes, because I have one more for you. Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting. And yes, they are as good as they sound.
I experimented half a dozen times with the recipe (over the course of an entire year!), and finally came up with one that I think is simply amazing. The ratio of peanut butter filling to chocolate cupcake is just right, and they are melt in your mouth delicious!
I wanted to find a from scratch cupcake recipe that I loved, and I tried many, believe me! They were either too dry, to heavy, not dense enough to support the filling. . . etc. Then I tasted a chocolate cupcake at my cousin’s birthday party.
I knew it was a winner after one bite, so I got the recipe from her friend Jody, who is now my friend. 🙂 I like my chocolate cupcakes dense, moist, and fudgy, and these fit the bill. The cupcakes are great just plain with chocolate frosting, but stuff them with homemade peanut butter filling, and they become over the top amazing.
And of course there’s the Peanut Butter Frosting. It can be eaten by the spoonful, and it has been at our house. I just won’t say by whom. 😉
It is the perfect way to top off the chocolate cupcakes with the hidden peanut butter filling inside!
If you like peanut butter and chocolate, do yourself a favor and make these cupcakes!
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUPCAKES
Peanut Butter Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 heaping cup peanut butter
- 6 Tbsp soft butter
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 6-8 Tablespoons milk
- FILLING: Combine all filling ingredients in a small bowl and beat till smooth. Cover and chill for about 45 minutes.
- Measure out about a teaspoon of filling and roll it into a ball. Repeat with the remaining peanut butter mixture. Place the peanut butter balls in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- CUPCAKES: Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add oil, water, and vinegar. Whisk till smooth.
- Fill paper lined muffin cups just over halfway full. Press a frozen peanut butter ball in the center till it is covered with batter.
- Bake at 375° for about 18-20 minutes.
- FROSTING: Beat butter, peanut butter, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Add 5 cups powdered sugar and 6 tablespoons of milk. Beat till smooth. Add additional powdered sugar or milk to get the consistency you need.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 649Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 209mgCarbohydrates: 120gFiber: 2gSugar: 106gProtein: 5g