Raspberry Rhubarb Crisp – chopped rhubarb, raspberries, and crushed pineapple combine to make one tasty rhubarb crisp recipe! A buttery oat topping finishes off the fruity filling just perfectly.
Strawberry and rhubarb are a classic combination, but if you’ve never tried raspberries and rhubarb together, you must. They are just as tasty. Truthfully, they might be even better!
And this crisp is so easy to make, no tricky pie crust.
My parents often give us a bagful of rhubarb from their garden, and I have fun coming up with tasty recipes using rhubarb. We happened to have some raspberries, so instead of making strawberry rhubarb crisp, I decided to give raspberries a try.
I saw a recipe for pineapple rhubarb pie, and that gave me the idea to add the pineapple. It turned out even better than I expected! The combination of sweet and tart fruit was amazing, and is such a pretty color. It has lots of crunchy topping, and it is just heavenly!
Why is my rhubarb crisp runny?
As rhubarb cooks, it releases liquid, so you need to add a starch like tapioca, flour, or cornstarch. If you don’t add enough thickener, your rhubarb and raspberry crisp will be soggy.
Make sure you don’t underbake your fruit crisps, because the filling needs time to thicken. Without enough cooking time, you will have runny filling.
Another reason your rhubarb crisp could be runny is if you are using frozen fruit. Add extra baking time if your rhubarb or raspberries are frozen.
Remember that filling will also continue to set up as it cools, so instead of serving your crisp piping hot, let it cool for a few minutes.
How do you prepare rhubarb?
First make sure you remove the leaves and discard them. Rhubarb leaves are toxic. After removing the leaves, rinse the rhubarb stocks thoroughly under cold water. Cut off the tops and bottoms, and then you are ready to eat or cut them.
Do you have to peel rhubarb?
No, you do not need to peel rhubarb. I treat it the same way I treat celery.
How do you cut rhubarb for crumble?
For my crumble, I like to cut the rhubarb into slices that are between 1/4- 1/2 inch long. But you can cut them larger if you like big chunks of rhubarb in your crisp.
HOW TO MAKE RASPBERRY RHUBARB CRISP
- In a large bowl, combine the fruit, sugar, and minute tapioca. Stir together and let sit for 15 minutes. Spread into a greased 9×13″ cake pan.
- Prepare the topping by combining all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Mix together till crumbly. (I just use my hands, but you can use a fork or pastry blender. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit mixture.
- Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and edges are bubbly.
- It is extremely hot when it first comes out of the oven, so let it sit for 15-20 minutes before serving. That will also give the filling to set up a bit more.
Make sure you add vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top. So yummy! A perfect summer dessert that showcases both rhubarb and raspberries. Don’t you just want to dive in?
- We like our rhubarb crisp on the sweeter side, but you can use less sugar if you like yours more tart.
- Add a teaspoon or two of lemon or orange zest to the filling for a fresh citrus flavor punch.
- Toss some shredded coconut in with the oats in the crumble topping.
- We like the fresh summer flavor of fruit to shine through in the filling, but you can add cinnamon and/or nutmeg for a spicy, nutty twist.
Love rhubarb crisp with oatmeal? Try these oat recipes:
- Oatmeal Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
- Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oat Bread Recipe
MORE FRUIT CRISP RECIPES:
RASPBERRY RHUBARB CRISP
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp minute tapioca (Do not use regular tapioca.)
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries (fresh or frozen, unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- Mix rhubarb, pineapple, sugar, tapioca, and raspberries in a large bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour fruit mixture into a greased 9x13" pan.
- For topping: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix till crumbly. Spread evenly over the filling.
- Bake at 350°for about 45 minutes or till filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown.
If you are using frozen raspberries, it will need to bake for 55-50 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 536Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 196mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 5gSugar: 53gProtein: 6g