Secret Ingredient Potato Salad – This recipe is a family favorite, and is always popular at potlucks!
You can’t really have a 4th of July picnic without potato salad, it would just be un-American, wouldn’t it? So I am sharing my favorite way to make potato salad. It is the recipe I grew up with. Kind of.
My mom never wrote a recipe down, she just gave me some instructions. I would just throw things in and keep tasting it till I get it just right. This time I tried really hard to measure things so you would have a general idea of what to put in it.
Just know that all the ingredients are adjustable, you can add more or less to your own liking. You can even omit things if you want.
- Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Best Oriental Ramen Salad
- Creamy Grape Salad
- Raspberry Poppy Seed Dressing for Spinach Salad
FAMILY FAVORITE POTATO SALAD RECIPE
- 7 medium russet potatoes
- 3 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 large dill pickles, diced (If you prefer sweet pickles, you can use those instead.)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise (I use light Miracle Whip)
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp pickle juice (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used kosher salt)
- Peel potatoes if desired. Sometimes I leave the skins on. Boil in salted water till fork tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Cool completely and cube.
- In large bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, onions, pickles, celery, and olives in a large bowl.
- Combine Miracle Whip, milk, mustard, and pickle juice in a small bowl and add to potato mixture.
- Stir lightly till well mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste. If it is too dry, add more Miracle Whip.
-I don't like my potato salad really saucy, but you can add as much sauce as you like.
-Make sure you salt the water you cook the potatoes in. It makes a huge difference in their flavor.
-I like Miracle Whip because not only does it have a more zippy flavor, but it has less fat than mayo. But mayo will also work. If you use mayo, I think it tastes better if you add a little sugar to the sauce.
-You really can't mess up this recipe, just adapt it to whatever your family likes!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 573mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g