This Wild Rice Ham Soup is so easy to make, and so yummy! Serve it with rolls or breadsticks for a comforting dinner everyone will love.
I love making soup. I think it is the perfect dinner at the end of a chilly day, don’t you? I have several soup recipes that we rotate through on a regular basis, but I am always on the lookout for a new soup to try out. I’ve had this one on my “to try” list for ages, and finally got around to making it.
Boy am I glad I did! It comes together in a snap, but no one would ever guess. It tastes amazing, and my whole family loved it. I never would have thought to garnish soup with almonds, but I love the crunch they add.
I served it with Garlic Knots, and it was a delicious meal. The only bad part is that we ate every drop, so we had no leftovers for lunch the next day. Next time I make it, I will be doubling the recipe for sure. 🙂
How to make Wild Rice Ham Soup
(Scroll to the bottom of the post to see the recipe card with detailed instructions.)
Ingredients needed for this recipe:
- butter (I use regular unsalted butter)
- flour (I use unbleached all purpose flour.)
- chicken broth (I make my own with chicken soup base/bouillon.)
- 1 4.3 oz box of wild rice (I used Rice-a-Roni long grain & wild rice)
- milk (I use 2%, but skim or whole should work fine as well.)
- Salt and pepper
- Sliced almonds
Saute onion in butter in a large soup pot till tender. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. You want to cook for at least a minute to remove the raw flour taste.
Add chicken broth and wild rice mix, including seasoning packet. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, till rice is tender.
Add carrots, ham, milk, and cream. Heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste. I don’t usually think it needs salt because the ham adds a fair amount.
Garnish with sliced almonds.
I love serving soup with homemade bread or rolls. Here are a few ideas for you:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 4oz box of wild rice (I used Rice-a-Roni long grain & wild rice)
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced almonds
- Saute onion in butter in a large pot till tender. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and rice mix, including seasoning packet. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, till rice is tender.
- Add carrots, ham, milk, and cream. Heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with sliced almonds.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 933mgCarbohydrates: 20gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 17g