Warm up after a long day with this creamy and hearty Cheeseburger Soup. It’s simply delicious!
This is another favorite recipe from a church cookbook I published a few years ago. It is from my friend Jeni and I just love it. The first time I made it, I thought the basil was a strange spice to use in this soup, but trust me, it is really good. I usually double the recipe because we never have a half pound of hamburger in the freezer, just 1 pound bags. Plus I like to have leftovers. 🙂
HOMEMADE CHEESEBURGER SOUP RECIPE
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-4 potatoes, diced
- 2 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 8oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- Brown ground beef in a large pot; drain off any fat.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery with spices and saute for a couple of minutes. Add broth and potatoes and cook till tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter over low to medium heat. Whisk in the flour, then cook and stir for about 30 seconds or till smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Stir constantly till mixture comes to a boil, then cook for at least one minute.
- Add the Velveeta and stir till melted. When vegetables are tender, add the cheese sauce to the pan. Stir in the pepper.
-When preparing the white sauce, make sure you let it boil for at least one minute so it doesn't have a "floury" taste.
-Sometimes I slice the carrots and that works great also.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 935mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 19g