Chocolate Caramel Chex Mix is the perfect snack for parties, gatherings, or even family movie night! It’s made in the microwave, so it is super simple.
Do you have big party plans for New Year’s Eve? Some years we attend a neighborhood party, other years we spend a quiet night at home with our kids. Usually our decision is based on healthy vs. sick kids.
Not quite sure which route we will be going this year, but either way yummy food will be involved! Because if you know me, you know I can’t have a party without great food. Sometimes I don’t get around to decorating, but the eats will always be good!
I have found that chex mixes are always a hit at any party I take them to. This one features both caramel and chocolate, so of course it’s delicious! It does take awhile for the chocolate to set up, but if you end up having to throw it together at the last minute, you can toss it in the freezer to speed things up a little. 😉
You can make this snack mix as crunchy as you like it. If you prefer an ooey gooey chex mix, you can omit the second cooking time, or cook less than the 3-4 minutes listed in the recipe. The caramel flavor is deeper and richer the longer you cook it. But it’s delicious both ways. It’s totally up to you!
Love this snack mix recipe? Here are a few more to check out:
Chocolate Caramel Chex Mix
- Combine cereals in a large microwave safe bowl; set aside.
- In a small glass bowl, combine caramels, butter, and milk. Microwave on high for about 3 minutes, stirring every minute till mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour over cereals and toss gently to coat.
- Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring every 60 seconds. Chex mix will be done when it barely starts to brown.
- Remove and spread on waxed paper or parchment paper to cool.
- Melt chocolate chips at half power in the microwave till smooth, stirring every 30 seconds or so. Drizzle over cereal mixture. Allow chocolate to set before serving. (You can speed up the process by placing the mixture in the fridge.)
If you want your chex mix less crunchy and more ooey gooey, you can cook the mixture less than 3-4 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 206mgCarbohydrates: 33gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 2g
(original photo- post updated 3/2018)