What makes this the best chocolate crinkle cookie recipe:
- You can make the dough ahead of time and chill it until you are ready to bake the cookies.
- They call for simple ingredients that you probably always have on hand.
- Double chocolate – most chocolate crinkles just call for cocoa powder; these also have mini chocolate chips for extra decadence!
- Oil instead of butter. I know, it goes against my core cookie making beliefs. But after trying several recipes with butter that we didn’t love, I tried using oil. It just took one bite to know it was a winner. The texture is sublime!
- They keep well (and seem to get even more fudgy after a day or two). You can also freeze them.
Why are my chocolate crinkle cookies flat?
If you don’t chill the dough long enough, it will be too soft, and the cookies will spread too much. It could also be that you need a bit more flour.
Why did my crinkle cookies not crinkle?
If your oven isn’t hot enough, the cookies will spread before rising, and you won’t get nice cracks. This can also happen if your baking powder is old or expired.
To test baking powder, just add a bit of water. If it doesn’t immediately start to bubble, it needs to be replaced.
Why are my crinkle cookies dry?
Most likely you over baked them. Remember that cookies will continue to cook on the baking sheet for a few minutes after being removed from the oven. You want to bake them just until they are barely set.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CRINKLES
How to store leftover crinkles?
- For minty chocolate crinkles, use 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp peppermint extract, and 3/4 cup of mint chocolate chips or andes mint bits.
- If all you have are regular sized chocolate chips, they will work in a pinch, but the cookies won’t be quite as pretty and crackled.
- You can also use chopped chocolate instead of the mini chips.
MORE CHOCOLATE COOKIES:
- Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Cookies with Powdered Sugar
- White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Mint Truffle Cookies
- Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- Chocolate M&M Cookies
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CRINKLE COOKIE RECIPE
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar for topping
- Spray cookie sheets with non stick cooking spray or use silicone liners.
- In a large bowl, beat cocoa powder, oil, and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into the chocolate mixture with the chocolate chips.
- Cover dough or wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough in balls (mine were about an ounce each). Then roll balls in powdered sugar.
- Place at least 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until set and crackled.
- Let cool on pans for 3-5 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
Make sure you chill the dough, or your cookies will just flatten out on the pan without cracking!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g