Killer Chocolate Sugar Cookies – topped with buttercream frosting, these soft and chewy chocolate cookies are simply incredible!
Baking is one of my favorite hobbies, and making cookies is right at the top of my list. I’ve shared over 50 cookie recipes on my site. I hope you’ll give these, and my other recipes a try!
Confession. I had never tasted a chocolate sugar cookie until I made these delectable little morsels. I didn’t even know they were a thing. Maybe they just aren’t popular here in Utah.
Maybe they are, and I’m just clueless. Well, they are definitely a thing at my house now, because they are amazing! They have perfect chocolate flavor, and the creamy frosting makes them even more incredible.
You could of course roll out the dough and use cookie cutters, but I don’t usually have time for that! Of course if you will be using cookie cutters, you will want to chill the dough for an hour or so.
I love that these cookies don’t call for any fancy ingredients, and they are so simple to make. Because you are just rolling them in balls, you don’t even have to wait for the dough to chill. Just scoop, roll, dip in sugar, and bake!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES
(To skip my tips and just get to the full recipe card, scroll to the very bottom of the post.)
Ingredients needed for cookies:
- butter, softened to room temperature (I use regular salted butter in all my recipes.)
- granulated sugar (regular white sugar/table sugar)
- brown sugar (I use light brown sugar, but dark will work just as well.)
- eggs (I use large eggs in all of my recipes.)
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour (I like to use unbleached flour, but that is a matter of preference.)
- unsweetened cocoa powder (I use regular Hershey’s cocoa powder.)
- baking soda
- baking powder
Ingredients needed for frosting:
- soft butter
- powdered sugar (also known as confectioners sugar)
- almond extract (I think it makes the frosting extra tasty, but you can just use extra vanilla extract if you prefer.)
- vanilla extract
- salt (I add a pinch of salt to all my frosting recipes to offset the sweetness. If you are using unsalted butter, make sure you use a generous pinch.)
- milk or cream (Cream makes the frosting extra rich, but milk works just fine. You can also use evaporated milk if you prefer.)
PREP WORK: Lightly grease your cookie sheets, or line them with silicone liners or parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
MAKE COOKIE DOUGH: You just whip up a simple chocolate cookie dough. I like to use a hand mixer to cream the ingredients, but I prefer to stir my dry ingredients in with a large wooden spoon.
FORM COOKIES: Unlike most sugar cookies, you don’t have to use cookie cutters for this recipe. Just roll the dough into balls and place on your prepared pans about 2 inches apart. Dip a round glass in sugar, and use it to flatten out the cookie dough balls to about 1/4″ thick.
BAKE: Because the cookies are thin, they will bake fairly quickly. They usually only take 7-8 minutes. Let them sit on the pan for 3-5 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
FROST: After the cookies are cool, prepare your frosting. Beat all ingredients together in a mixing bowl, adding enough milk to get a spreadable consistency. Add food coloring if desired. Spread on top of cookies. (I like to use an offset spatula to frost my cookies.)
If you want to use sprinkles, add them quickly before the frosting starts to set up.
-If you don’t want to frost the cookies, you can just leave them plain. Or you could sprinkle them with coarse sugar after you have flattened them.
-Want to cut them into fancy shapes? Just chill the dough for about an hour, and roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Use cookie cutters to cut into shapes, and bake as directed above.
-Love chocolate mint? Replace the almond extract with peppermint extract, and you have a delicious mint frosting. You could sprinkle the frosted cookies with crushed peppermint candies, or even chopped up Andes mints.
-Instead of using buttercream frosting, use cream cheese frosting instead. The tangy flavor goes great with the chocolate cookies!
HOW TO STORE COOKIES?
After the frosting sets, store cookies in an airtight container. I like to place waxed paper in between the layers. They will keep for 3-4 days at room temperature.
You can freeze them, but I think it’s best to freeze them before they are frosted. Place them in heavy duty ziplock freezer bags and they will last for up to 3 months in the freezer. When ready to serve them, let them thaw, then add frosting.
MORE MOUTHWATERING COOKIE RECIPES:
- Family Favorite Sugar Cookies
- Homemade Oreos
- Butter Cookies with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Macaroon Kiss Cookies
LOVE CHOCOLATE? TRY THESE:
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Homemade Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- Best Flourless Chocolate Cake
CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar for flattening cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- a dash of salt
- 1-2 Tbsp of milk or cream
- Cookies: Cream butter and sugars in a mixing bowl till fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Stir into the creamed mixture just till well combined.
- Roll in 1" balls and place on silpat lined or lightly greased cookie sheets. Flatten with glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes.
- Let sit on pan for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling racks.
- Cool completely, then frost with buttercream frosting. Add sprinkles if desired.
- Frosting: Beat all ingredients together in a mixing bowl till creamy and fluffy, adding enough milk to get a spreadable consistency.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 181mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 2g