When life hands you zucchini. . . make zucchini bread. Chocolate zucchini bread that is. Because anytime you can disguise something healthy with chocolate, life is good. I know my day always starts out better if I can sneak a little chocolate in with breakfast. 😉
This bread is nice and moist and has a hint of spice to it. Of course if you prefer the pure chocolate taste, you can leave out the cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
As with all zucchini bread recipes, if you have seriously picky eaters, you can peel the zucchini first. They will not be able to tell it’s there. Aren’t I sneaky?
MORE ZUCCHINI BREAD RECIPES:
- Zucchini Cream Cheese Bread
- Pineapple Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Pear Zucchini Bread
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Cherry Zucchini Bread
- Pina Colada Zucchini Bread
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/3 cup milk or water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (mini work the best)
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts, optional
- Whisk oil, sugar, eggs, zucchini, water, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Stir in dry ingredients, chips, and nuts.
- Pour into an 8x4" loaf pan. (I line mine with parchment paper.)
- Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to cool completely
-The original recipe called for 1 1/3 cup sugar, but I think it is plenty sweet with just 1 cup.
-I substituted a little more than 1/2 cup of the white flour with wheat and we could not tell the difference. Seriously!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 240mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 5g
(originally published 10/14/08, updated June 2015)