Chocolate Zucchini Bread with Cream Cheese – this rich and chocolatey quick bread has a tasty cream cheese ribbon. A perfect recipe for using extra zucchini!
A PERFECT QUICK BREAD FOR CHOCOLATE FANS
Whenever we have an abundance of zucchini, I make loaves and loaves of zucchini bread. I love it, and so does the rest of my family. I usually freeze some for months when we have no zucchini. It is nice having it on hand for a quick treat. I am always looking for new zucchini bread recipes to add to my collection.
I got this recipe from my mom. It is her own creation, and I fell in love with it after just one bite. It is chock full of yumminess!
But the thing that makes it spectacular is the cream cheese ribbon in the middle. It has a hint of orange flavor from the orange zest. Oh my gosh people. This bread is sooo good!
If you aren’t a fan of chocolate orange, you can leave out the orange zest, but I loved the flavor it added. Definitely a new zucchini bread favorite!! I’m not going to tell you how many slices I devoured.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD WITH CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- vegetable oil (or any oil that is liquid at room temperature)
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- large eggs
- vanilla extract
- sour cream
- shredded zucchini
- orange zest
- mini chocolate chips
- cream cheese
PREP WORK: Let your cream cheese come to room temperature.
Grate/shred your zucchini. You can use a food processor, but I just use a hand grater. I don’t peel the zucchini, but you can if you prefer. You definitely want to remove any seeds though!
Spray to large loaf pans (mine are 9×5″) with non stick cooking spray or Baker’s Joy spray. I like to line the bottom of my pans with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
FILLING: Use a hand mixer to beat the softened cream cheese till smooth. Beat in the remaining ingredients as directed, and set aside.
BATTER: Whisk together the dry ingredients and the mini chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla till creamy. Stir in the sour cream, zucchini, and orange zest. Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Don’t overmix or your bread will be tough.
FILL PANS: Spread 1/4 of the batter in the bottom of each pan. Then add half of the filling to each pan. Divide the remaining batter between the two pans.
BAKE: Bake in the preheated oven for 60-80 minutes. When the bread is done, a toothpick inserted into the chocolate part should come out clean. Cool in pans for about 10 minutes before removing to cooling racks.
LEFTOVER ZUCCHINI BREAD?
Wrap any leftover bread in plastic wrap, or store it in a ziplock bag or airtight container. It will last for 4-5 days at room temperature. We actually like it better the next day!
If you need to store it longer, it freezes really well. Wrap it in two layers of plastic wrap or aluminum foil. It will keep for 3-4 months in the freezer. Let it thaw at room temperature.
-We love the hint of orange flavor, but you can definitely omit the orange zest and the bread will still be tasty.
-For a more traditional zucchini bread flavor, add a teaspoon or two of ground cinnamon with the dry ingredients.
-For a tasty crunch, stir in some chopped pecans or walnuts.
-Don’t want anyone (like picky kids) to know it’s zucchini bread? Peel your zucchini first, and no one will ever guess.
MORE TASTY WAYS TO USE EXTRA ZUCCHINI:
- Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Orange Zucchini Bundt Cake with Orange Frosting
- Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Cake
RECIPES FOR CHOCOLATE LOVERS:
- Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Best Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD WITH CREAM CHEESE
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 Tbsp cocoa
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- zest of 1 orange
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- Grease and flour two large loaf pans. (8 or 9") Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- For filling, beat cream cheese in a small bowl till smooth. Beat in sugar, zest, and flour till smooth. Add egg and beat till thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- For bread, whisk together flour, salt, soda, and cocoa in a small mixing bowl. Stir in the chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla till creamy. Stir in sour cream, zucchini, and orange zest. Add dry ingredients and chips and stir just till moistened.
- Spread 1/4 of the batter in the bottom of each pan. Then add half of the filling to each pan. Divide the remaining batter between the two pans.
- Bake for 60-80 minutes. (Depends on the size of your loaf pans.) When the bread is done, a toothpick inserted into the chocolate part should come out clean.
- Cool in pans for about 10 minutes before removing to cooling racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g
(Originally published Jul 16, 2012, updated May 2020.)